Thread: What does it take to make it to state?

Men What does it take to make it to state?

I'm living in the most southern part of Texas. People here rarely make it to state and when they do they hardly ever place. It's always northern teams like Austin and Dallas who do. I always hear "oh man, they're monsters at state", and almost make them sound invulnerable and totally invincible. We have to be realistic here, what are they doing that we're not? I really need to make it to state and I actually want to place and do great, what can I do to make it!!! (I'm a senior already and haven't been to state nor regionals, nor district before because every year there was always someone first string ahead of me (although I have wrestled more than 70 varsity matches, ect. I am 20-1 this year, and I lost to a person who placed tenth at state. I have won all the other tough matches, so I'm wondering what's the trick to making it to state that some people do and others don't, and don't be too general and just tell me it's hard work, because that's the obvious, but what exactly is hard work, ect?

Redshirt

Default Re: What does it take to make it to state?

working smart > working hard

im still experimenting and trying to find out the best way to work and develop as a wrestler for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mir20052 View Post
    working smart > working hard

im still experimenting and trying to find out the best way to work and develop as a wrestler for me.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. I always get on my friend's nerves when I can outwrestle him, especially at the end of our 3 hour practice. He can never figure why I don't gas like he does, I just don't work hard.

I'm only 12-8 right now, but every time I've lost (minus this last one) has been just cause they're fatter than I am.

230 @ HW = bad idea. Haha.
    Wrestling: Shoot first, ask questions later.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyman22336 View Post
    I'm living in the most southern part of Texas. People here rarely make it to state and when they do they hardly ever place. It's always northern teams like Austin and Dallas who do. I always hear "oh man, they're monsters at state", and almost make them sound invulnerable and totally invincible. We have to be realistic here, what are they doing that we're not? I really need to make it to state and I actually want to place and do great, what can I do to make it!!! (I'm a senior already and haven't been to state nor regionals, nor district before because every year there was always someone first string ahead of me (although I have wrestled more than 70 varsity matches, ect. I am 20-1 this year, and I lost to a person who placed tenth at state. I have won all the other tough matches, so I'm wondering what's the trick to making it to state that some people do and others don't, and don't be too general and just tell me it's hard work, because that's the obvious, but what exactly is hard work, ect?
    Read the book "Wrestling Tough" by Mike Chapman. Although a bit repetitive at times, it will greatly improve your mental approach to wrestling.

Making it to state: Winning 3-4 matches on each important weekend.

Don't protect your record. Too often kids will have their 25-0 record and it will ruin their season because they are scared to lose rather than planning how to win.

You're goal should be to win state. Start planning and training to win state and making it is only a small hurdle. When you're close to a guy who has been there you're only a small step from winning it.

Increase your conditioning.
    Stay after practice and do 10-15 extra 18 second (as hard as you can..) sprints every day for the rest of the season. When you get to the third period, watch your opponent put his hands above his head or on his sides- it means hes tired... he will break much easier and open up a ridiculous amount of offense.

Increase your "body weight" exercises. Everytime you enter/leave your bedroom (or another room in your house you frequently are in) do 25 push ups or 35 sit ups.

You will notice that most of these are additional training exercises. Spreading out these additional exercises over the course of the day (25 additional pushups before school for leaving the bedroom, when you get home, get a snack..) you are keeping your metabolism up, burning calories, and making yourself stronger. Working when your opponents are happy to be done is the biggest key in making the step up. You will know you worked harder and deserve it more.