Thread: best response to a leg shot..pull up or push down?

Default best response to a leg shot..pull up or push down?

when an opponent shoots in on a leg whats the best way to counter after a sprawl, is it to push the head down and try to crossface then go behind for a point OR try to get a whizzer in then pull the man up and go for a trip/throw,(much like you see a lot now in mma). does it depend if the heads is inside or outside? what do you guys prefer????

my young son wrestles so im always watching and reading stuff for advice for him. a lot of the time i find stuff hes taught at his club is varied, sometimes even contradicted, from stuff taught on videos by the likes of smith, kolat, sanderson and the russians etc on you tube. i know which opinion i prefer but i get a dirty look if i tell him to do different to what his coach says!!!

Default Re: best response to a leg shot..pull up or push down?

I'd rather push the head down, crossface and go around. lot easier to get my points then to hit a headlock, inside trip, lateral drop or something similar. Crossface and go behinds are a lot more of a low risk, high return type of move. Whizzering is still a good option, its probably the best shot defense in wrestling and in any leg attack combat sport.

Where is the opponents head? Outside or inside?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

If the head is outside, get your hips perpindicular to his, crossface and near ankle go behind. If it's inside get your hips parallel to his, stuff the head, front headlock go behind.

There's some stuff you can do by pressuring your hips INTO him like I think you're describing, but the bread and butter stuff is what beats the best. Some coaches teach pressuring into the guy, then a hard sprawl burying the head. I don't mind that so much. The trip/throw stuff sounds risky, especially if it's against someone good.

As a coach I can appreciate your son possibly being annoyed at you contradicting his coach, especially if the coach is around.(not saying that's what you're doing, I have no idea) Might save that for a private moment with your son.

Regardless, if the guy is showing bad technique and you don't like it, maybe that's not the club for your son?
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

In general I prefer to stuff the head. This can be done with a front headlock, crossface, or even a whizzer (with a front 1/4). I teach all my guys to stuff the head and then go behind for their 2 points. I also teach them to be aware of the opportunity to pancake someone. Really both of the scenarios that you describe have a place and both should be shown and taught.

Does you kid's coach teach good technique in general? If he does then I would trust his coach and see where he's going with this. If he doesn't teach good technique most of the time then I would try to find a different club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.