Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling someone who as a strength advantage on you

Default Wrestling someone who as a strength advantage on you

Here's my situation, I'm an eight grader in Junior High. I wrestled last year at 119 on the varsity team. This year I am going to wrestle 135, I have the same kids as last year in weight class except for one kid who has a strength advantage on me. We do this drill at practice where there are 4 kids, two kids are in, whoever gets the take down stays in. I stayed in for the first 5 times and then lost to the new kid. I wrestled about 15 times and I won every time except I lost twice to that kid. He caught me with a headlock once and got a single on me the other time. He is new to wrestling and challenges are next week, how do I make sure that I will dominate him?

Default Re: Wrestling someone who as a strength advantage on you

Learn how to counter a single leg and headlock. Strength is only a deciding factor when neither wrestler has better technique than the other. There is a a sport where strength gives you a major advantage; it's called weightlifting, not wrestling (and even in weightlifing, technique plays a big part).

I don't mean to be sarcastic or to make fun of you, but seriously, strength isn't as big a part of wrestling as you think. Even if you lose your challenge match, work hard and learn the moves and you will be successful.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Thank you for responding, are there any moves that would be very effective against someone like him?

Don't tie up unless you are using the tie up to set up a move. Don't go upper body with him. Probably the best advice is to shoot on him before he shoots on you and finish the move.

Thank you for the help sir.

Somebody way, way smarter than me said: "Strength gives you the chance to recover from your mistakes." Don't worry so much about him. What do you do well? Hone those techniques so that "You do that voodoo that you do so well". (Old guy reference. Don't worry about it. Spider will understand.) If he is busy trying to adjust to what you are doing, his strength won't be as much of an issue.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    "You do that voodoo that you do so well". (Old guy reference. Don't worry about it. Spider will understand.).

(post was too short so I'm adding this)

Spider, did you notice YoungWilliam's "sir"? I like that!

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Spider, did you notice YoungWilliam's "sir"? I like that!
    I did.

Until about 15 years ago, I did a lot of running. Whenever I'd approach another runner, I'd always say "Hi." One time, when I was about 40, I saw a guy probably in his late 20's running towards me. When we were close, I said, "Hi," and he said, "Good morning, Sir." It made me feel about 25 years older than I was. Still, I do appreciate the respect that YoungWilliam showed, and the fact is I AM an old guy.