Thread: Wrestling Camp Help!

Default Wrestling Camp Help!

My son just completed his freshman year of HS and 1 yr of wrestling. He wants to attend a few camps this summer to improve on his knowledge and skills.

I need some advice from some of the more experienced fathers and coach's about the different types of camps. In trying do do research on the different camps some say Intensive Camp, Takedown Camp, Technique Camp, etc.

Forgive me for being stupid but what is the difference between these types of camps and what camps might be best for a newbie wrestler?

I understand that current skills and knowledge play a big roll in deciding what type of camp to attend. My son most always gets way ahead in his matches as he is very aggresive but finds himself getting turned onto his back late in matches to make them close or get pinned. At first I thought it might be due to conditioning but coach's say he is in great physical shape.

Coach say he gets confused do to lack of wrestling skills and only experience will solve this problem. This brings me back to my original question of what type of camp and where do we obtain this knowledge?

I would assume a Takedown camp would only concentrate on Takedowns - scoring points, but what is Technique Camp and what would they teach and which is the most important to learn?

Any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated. We live in CA and can travel to out of state camps but of course would prefer to stay as close as possible to home.

Default Re: Wrestling Camp Help!

A takedown camp focus primarily on offense.

technique camps cover a variety (the variety should be outlined in the brochure)

Intensive camps teach you *how* to train - giving you added conditioning in exchange of technique.

A technique camp might be the best bet for him at this stage but they would all have their benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sflan View Post
    My son just completed his freshman year of HS and 1 yr of wrestling. He wants to attend a few camps this summer to improve on his knowledge and skills.

I need some advice from some of the more experienced fathers and coach's about the different types of camps. In trying do do research on the different camps some say Intensive Camp, Takedown Camp, Technique Camp, etc.

Forgive me for being stupid but what is the difference between these types of camps and what camps might be best for a newbie wrestler?

I understand that current skills and knowledge play a big roll in deciding what type of camp to attend. My son most always gets way ahead in his matches as he is very aggresive but finds himself getting turned onto his back late in matches to make them close or get pinned. At first I thought it might be due to conditioning but coach's say he is in great physical shape.

Coach say he gets confused do to lack of wrestling skills and only experience will solve this problem. This brings me back to my original question of what type of camp and where do we obtain this knowledge?

I would assume a Takedown camp would only concentrate on Takedowns - scoring points, but what is Technique Camp and what would they teach and which is the most important to learn?

Any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated. We live in CA and can travel to out of state camps but of course would prefer to stay as close as possible to home.

Schlottke,

Thank you for clearing this up for me. J Rob and Chertow are having 5 day camps in our area this summer. J Rob is having 2 camps one is technique and the other is take down. The Chertow camp is a little of everything I think. If we go J Rob I will take your advice and go with technique.

Is one camp better than the other in your opinion.

Thank you very much!

Both are pretty good.. I don't think you'd hear a lot of negatives about either.

My concern with Chertows camp is that in almost all of the pictures on his web site I see a LOT of kids sitting and watching and almost nobody is sweating. Verbal teaching is nice.. but NOTHING beats mat time. In the J Rob videos and pictures you can tell the kids are paying their dues. Maybe I am reading too much into this but if I am paying good money, I want to see my kid pushed and pushed hard and that is what he wants also. Now.. having said that.. I have NOT been to Chertows camp and this is PURELY speculation and observing the web sites that they both posted.
    Thanks

Believe me, I've been to Chertow's camps and there is no lack of conditioning. That's one thing I can promise you, you will get a good workout. Normally they do three sessions a day. It's true, two of those sessions (morning and night) are not that difficult. You spend a good hour and a half going over technique, and then you do some live and some conditioning. However, the day session is much different. You spend maybe thirty minutes going over technique, but it transitions for the next half hour into hard drilling, then live and brutal conditioning. I remember, one day I walked out of the day session and it took me about twenty-five minutes to walk from the gym back to the dorm I was staying in - a distance of about half a mile.

Anyways, if it's mat time that you're worried about, then alleviate your worries - your kids will go live for a total of probably two hours a day with quality partners. There's no shortage of live.

NOTE: make sure that, if you want conditioning, attend the Gold Medal (or Super Gold) camp. The Technique camp supplies some live but not really a whole lot.
    Am I cool now?