Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to beat a more experienced wrestler than you ?

Default Re: Best way to beat a more experienced wrestler than you ?

I think your attitude is the best thing to start with. Don't spend your time focusing on the other wrestler and how they perform. Instead you need to build your own confidence and determination while you practice and perfect your technique.

Wrestle against them a lot and take note of their tendencies, weaknesses, strong points, everything. Try every move in the book and see what works. Ask for as much help as possible and work hard. Cardio, strength, athleticism technique, do it all
    "Wanting to win, that is common to all. But working to win, the drive to go the extra mile, to push yourself while no one's looking..that is the mark of a true champion."

Quote Originally Posted by pslwrestler152 View Post
    well this is my first year for the hs wrestling team im trying for the 152 varsity spot i was wondering what is the best way to beat some of these kids who been wrestling since they were 9?
    Hey, I was in your same situation when i was a freshmam. I would get my but kicked by the older and more experienced kids, But dont let that discurage u It will only make u better, most of the time I lost because they would use moves i had'nt seen before. Thats why after they did the move to me i would ask them to teech it to me, and if you can learn the moves of an opponet yull be good enough to stop them. But there is to ways you can approach someone better than you, you can first play a little defence and let the guy take a shot, and you can sprawl and maybe you can catch him in a little mistake. Second you could take an offensive approach and be aggressive and catch the opponet off guard and maybe he wont be ready for u. if the more experienced guy knows your not very good he may under estimate you and start off a little slow and you can supprise him.
    Well thought i would give a little advise to a fellow wrestler, especially at the same weaght. well good luck and I hope i helped.

from wat ive learned if you're a first year it is very unlikely that you'll get and finish a shot on someone who's the same weight class as you and has wrestled in the same gym that you have for 2 or 3 years, so start praticing your sprawls and counters, sprawl and spin is the easiest way to get points or sprawl and underhook whip etc

Work your butt off, learn proper technique and drill it constantly, watch videos of techniques, be the strongest you can be, be the most conditioned person on your team, make goals and keep those goals in mind every time you think about quittin of givin up and you might not be great this year or even next year but if you keep your goals and believve in yourself you will get better.
    FYI: I started in 6th grade didnt win a match that year and was .500 in 7th and 8th grade, but I did every thing I just said and last year as a JR. I placed 6th at State and ranked in the top 4 this year and have 100 career wins. Just Beleive in yourself and everything should fall in place.

Remember a couple of simple things Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. So what ever you do work on have someone help you with your technique until it is perfect. next K.I.S.S. it, Keep it simple stupid! i.e one great Takedown and one good escape can win you alot of matches. So spend most of your training time on your feet and on the bottom.

Women Re: Best way to beat a more experienced wrestler than you ?

Quote Originally Posted by pslwrestler152 View Post
    well this is my first year for the hs wrestling team im trying for the 152 varsity spot i was wondering what is the best way to beat some of these kids who been wrestling since they were 9?
    hey my name is dylan adn i been wrestling for about 4 to 5 years and it really doesnt matter how many years they been wrestling or how good they are you just got to have a good practice partner and practice hard and learn and remember the moves then when you go out on the mat just use them moves and bee as agresive as you can be and do your best!!!!!!!

I cant hit take downs well but i can sprall and get behind the guy, also u need to work on stand ups i get atleast half of my points that way and finnaly work on your mat wrestling, u could get ur ass kicked and get taken down 100000 times but if u can get out or reverse him on the mat then they will not pin you

i dont agree with the whole perfect technique thing the key to winning is to go out work your ass off and brawl like hell