Thread: I wrestle Varsity, Im a Senior in high school, and I weight train, a lot!

Redshirt

Sport Football I wrestle Varsity, Im a Senior in high school, and I weight train, a lot!

I used to play football, I love wrestling, but I love weight training as well. I'm 17, I weigh 175 right now, I'm 6'-1/2", and I bench press 245, squat 245, and shoulder press 155. I also can do up to 74 push-ups at a time, 20 chin-ups at a time, and jump rope at a fast pace for 5 minutes (around 500 jumps). However, last year was my first year wrestling, I started in J.V. and won a silver medal in my first tournament after practicing for 2 weeks (i started late because i joined right after football season ended). I went on to Varsity about 2 weeks after that (my record was 6-2 before). I missed a practice every now and then due to sickness and my record went down from there. My season ended with an 8-8 record. I tend to use power too much rather than technique. I'm best on the ground, but I know I could be even better at takedowns because of my football background and powerful core. I have a high strength-to-weight ratio.

Im already in great shape and know enough about strength training. I just really need suggestions for how to start on my technique. Some conditioning tips would help too!

PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: I wrestle Varsity, Im a Senior in high school, and I weight train, a lot!

For conditioning all you really need to do is sprints. Your strength is great, although your squat is lower compared to everything else.

If you really want to train technique you should join a club or open-mat program and wrestle 2-3 days a week. You can also do some shadow wrestling (pretend like you're wrestling someone) at home and watch some videos while at home.

Default Re: I wrestle Varsity, Im a Senior in high school, and I weight train, a lot!

Your bench is pretty good man, but your squat, well that needs some work.
    For technique all you have to do is wrestle. Watch a couple videos maybe just to see some more drills but the main thing is just go to an open mat, learn and practice.
    Conditioning is pretty easy. Sprint, Bleachers, Wrestle live.