Thread: im from lake city sc im going to wrastel this year i need some training tips before the season starts

Default im from lake city sc im going to wrastel this year i need some training tips before the season starts

i really want to wrestle this year but i want to get better and stronger before the season starts im 12 years old i weigh 110 i can bench 100+.
    im in great shape and i play football

Default Re: im from lake city sc im going to wrastel this year i need some training tips before the season starts

O.K well then don't play football and just wrestle.

Training tips? I'm pretty sure you are right at the age where you can do intense weight training and not stunt growth.
    Get a good weight lifting program. Do a lot of core exercises and do Olympic lifts.
    Run sprints and bleachers to build strength and to get faster.
    If you decide to play football remember to lift hard and run hard.
    Remember to get better at wrestling the best thing is to wrestle.

If you need any help on making a program talk to me and I will hook you up.
    Oh and remember to have a good eating lifestyle! If you are training hard but put lard in for fuel your body is getting nothing out of it. Protein and carbs, and a cheat meal here and there. Lay off the fast food and get good home cooked meals whenever you can. Hope this helps!

- Brad

Default Re: im from lake city sc im going to wrastel this year i need some training tips before the season starts

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodgaskins View Post
    i really want to wrestle this year but i want to get better and stronger before the season starts im 12 years old i weigh 110 i can bench 100+.
    im in great shape and i play football
    Pushups,pull-ups are great and work on your grip! hand strength is a great weapon to have in tie-ups. Wrestling is all about leverage and not so much brute strength. If you rely on strength and use only that you may win some matches but in the end a technical wrestler will beat you. Learn moves and counters to be a great wrestler and eat right like brad pointed out. My little guys do perfect pushups(they are like 20 bucks) and I have 5 pound weight on a string and I have them roll that up with their forearms. My kids also use russian Kettle bells(10 pound)(checkout Kinetic edge Kettlebells work out on Youtube) that they do curls with and other things for strength Other than that we go over the same takedowns and counters everyday. You are way too young to rely on just strength so be careful lifting at 12. lightweights are the way you want to go with alot of reputitions. My kids just turned 10(twins) and do well and want to start lifting heavy weights but they are way too young for that. Your bones are too soft at that age. Kettle bells are a more natural way to get stronger much like kids who are raised on a farm than lifting in a gym. Good luck and stay dedicated like you sound like you are. i don't agree with brad on not playing football though. Burnout is common with kids who only wrestle at that age. My kids wrestle fom nov. 1st to the end of may(Greco and freestyle) that makes for a long year so football is a great break and football will make you tough
    Last edited by jonjon; 09-06-2009 at 11:48 AM.

do arobics and run as much as you can and improve your shot and switch/reversals and if you dont win all your matches or dont get the moves dont get discouraged

playing football BEFORE wrestling will teach you incorrect takedown habits. tackling makes you hit the dude with arms wide; you want to take a dude down in wrestling with arms in so you don't get hooked under your arms.

as far as lifting, if you are 12, then your growth plates haven't finished growing and you can damage them, stunting your growth by at least 3 inches, so be careful with that; you don't want to lift more than your own weight.

as far as training, RUN! that will increase your cardiovascular ability, making you last longer in a match. if you are concerned about strength, do pushups, and lots of them. drill drill drill and then drill some more. practice shooting in, making sure you have at LEAST 5 different setups, change levels grab a leg or double and then follow through. video tape yourself and have a wrestler critique it to see what you are doing good and what you need to improve one. hope this helps! looks like you got lots of good ideas so far!
    ?More enduringly than any other sport, wrestling teaches self-control and pride. Some have wrestled without great skill - none have wrestled without pride.? - Dan Gable