Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWT Chat

Default TWT Chat

Is this function ever coming back or did the Albanians ruin it for everyone?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Default Re: TWT Chat

What was the deal with the Albanians? Were they trying to steal top secret fantasy wrestling strategies?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Word has it that we are the "Mensa"s of college wrestling knowledge...at least YOU guys are.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

It should be back sometime by the end of the week.

Getting us back up yesterday wound up being quite a bit of work for Schlottke so he let it ride for at least yesterday.

It will be back shortly. Like Jensen has said - I spent about 4 hours yesterday fixing the problem and I don't like those long hours :P

The hack was unassociated with any files, so everything will be restored. I just took some of the potential culprits offline yesterday to protect the site in case there was a more complex problem. It seemed, at first, like a well planned and coordinated attack but the more I looked into it the more amateur it became.

I'll throw back a couple beers and get to the recovery of the chat and "what's new" back up this afternoon.

We did upgrade the software as a fail safe, too, which means after I get the old stuff back up we have two new little addons to release, too.

Interestingly enough, the hacker isn't actually in Albania. He's an Albanian using Albanian proxies but he lives in the US so he can be charged.
    Last edited by Schlottke; 11-08-2010 at 01:53 PM.

why the hell us????
    The Art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by TLV View Post
    why the hell us????
    Just random. They search google for strings on sites with exploitable software versions. For example, if this version we're on had a flaw they'd search for "Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.8" and then deface any sites that have that exploit.

These things are usually caught pretty quickly - but just about every version of popular software has one or two.

What's the point? Just to interrupt a site for a few hours? Sounds pretty dumb to me.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    What's the point? Just to interrupt a site for a few hours? Sounds pretty dumb to me.
    Sometimes they have a point - this one, not so much. Often times islamic nations will target US and European hosts to take them offline to fight the west, but this one appears totally random. No religious messages - just a "hacker" bragging about using someone else's exploit.

In these cases, its pretty much like Internet graffiti... I spent 4 hours yesterday doing community service removing the paint.... lol