Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Spider and others indifferent to religion

Olympic Champ

Default Hey Spider and others indifferent to religion

This is going on in your country!

Religion has become such a common element of presidential politics that during the first televised debate among the 2008 Republican candidates, a reporter asked if any did not believe in evolution ? three Republicans raised their hands: Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record), former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo.

"To many Americans, religion is a very important part of their life and they are interested in how religiosity influences candidates," said John Green, a University of Akron political science professor and senior fellow at the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

"Where this election cycle is different," he said, "is that more of the Democratic candidates are speaking out about their faith, and they've organized their campaigns to appeal to religious voters."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/...dates_religion

Default Re: Hey Spider and others indifferent to religion

The difference is that the democratic candidates(Edwards,Obama,Clinton and Richardson) even with there professed belief in a higher power, still believe in a separation of church and state.
    "I like my antiques new " - Steve Martin

I would like to go on record and say I could never vote for a candidate who is a creationist.

Olympic Champ

How is this not an attack on atheists and others not deeply interested in fundamental religion? Suppose an atheist with exceptional moral values wants to become President. Why should the fact whether he is religious or not and the type of his religion play a role in his chances?

I don't think words "faith" or "religion" are even appropriate in anything related to Presidential elections.

Talk about morals but not about religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    I would like to go on record and say I could never vote for a candidate who is a creationist.
    What you mean the guys that believe The Flintstones was a documentary? (Lewis Black)
    "I like my antiques new " - Steve Martin

Indeed. I wouldn't have voted for Brownback, Huckabee, or Tancredo anyway.

Me either. Someone who says "I believe what I believe, regardless of the scientific evidence." sounds like four more years of Bush.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Olympic Champ

Obviously the three who raised their hands, were pandering to a certain audience. Tancredo, in fact, slowly raised his hand like he didn't know what he should do. The next day, however (presumably after consulting with the experts in his campaign), he had a one sentence statement to resolve the matter and make him look like he's got a foot in both camps (I forget what it is).

Big, like it or not, religion is important to many Americans, and their vote will be influenced by such matters, the same way they're influenced by many other things that you might find irrelevant (e.g., JFK supposedly had the handsome factor working for him in 1960; if you were a white Southerner in 1968 you voted for George Wallace, because he represented the pre-civil rights South).

I'm reminded of my mother telling me a few years ago about a car she bought--describing the person she had bought it from as a "Christian man"--her way of saying he was someone to be trusted. GW Bush has played on this very thing, slipping words like "faith" and others of the evangelical lexicon into his speeches--designed to tell every one he is a "Christian" and a man to be trusted. Actually Jimmy Carter was the first one in recent times, to use his faith as a campaign tool. Before then, churchgoers were known to stay away from polls. After Carter won, the Republicans got wise as to what happened, and they've been actively courting the church vote ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieJ2 View Post
    Me either. Someone who says "I believe what I believe, regardless of the scientific evidence." sounds like four more years of Bush.
    Well put. .
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!