Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I cant believe this.

Default I cant believe this.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc...,5219178.story

I had heard about this on the news last night. Twenty New Haven Firefighter are in a lawsuit against the City because they were discriminated against because they were white or Hispanic. The City had 15 promotional slots available 40 or so people took the test that would decide based on high score who would promote. The top 15 were 14 white and 1 Hispanic fire fighter, no black. This meant that no blacks would be promoted so the city threw the test out because they did not get the result they wanted. 8 black firefighters took the test bet did not test high enough to promote.

My feeling is, that all things were equal for the promotion, they all had the same ability to study and same length of time to study. Whoever did the best should promote. There should be no race factor, if you are the best you get the job period. The City sited title 7 which is an affirmative action law IMO. This has gone too far. If the results had been all blacks and 1 Hispanic with no whites would they have thrown out the test and done it again? There needs to be complete equality in the work place, especially civil service. Once they fracture along racial lines because of things like this it will set us back to the 50's.

Default Re: I cant believe this.

The city threw out the test results because they were afraid of a lawsuit by the black firemen who did poorly on it. One issue would be if the content of the test was directly related to the position applied for, or if it was indeed formulated to favor a certain race (I'm not sure how that would be, though). Still, I agree with you, Ugly. Promotions should be color blind and people should rise or fall on their merits.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Citing the "voluminous record in this case," the Obama administration says the court should send the case back to a judge in Connecticut to consider whether the white firefighters were victims of racial politics.

It looks like it's not as cut-and-dried as some might think. I like the fact that the Obama Administration said the firefighters'case should be examined by a judge to see if they were victims of some racial discrimination. I will be content to wait and see what a judge rules.

<!-- sphereit end -->
    Your ignorance is painful to witness.....

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The City had 15 promotional slots available 40 or so people took the test that would decide based on high score who would promote.
    I read the article, and it didn't say anywhere that the test was considered teh sole basis for promotion in this case.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

On CNN they had the firefighters lawyer and the cities lawyer and they said the standard fro promotion was the test. Also being married to a firefighter I will tell you that a test is a large part of promotion. In some cases the highest tested would then go on to an oral interview by a board of firefighter from other cities to aid the in the process.

The article also did not say that the name plaintiff in the case is dyslexic and went through a lot to pass the test, quiting a second job, paying a co-worker 1000 dollars to put the suggested reading on audio tape and so on. He finished sixth in the testing but was denied promotion, that is not fair or right. This in my mind is clearly a racial issue, it is a case of over reaching affirmative action law and it goes on everywhere.

Olympic Champ

It has nothing whatsover to do with affirmative action, and everything to do with the Civil Rights Act. Why are you confusing these matters? Do we need Ban B. (who knows more about this stuff) to explain this to us? You've evidently been reading too much literature from the School of White Male Resentment, given your unwillingness to acknowledge the city's basis for their action, and your remark that you "can't believe it", as if there is no legitimate basis for what they did. You say race should not be a factor but it's well established that racial discrimination is against the law in this country.

The specific basis for the city's decision ("disparate impact") is found in the well written article you posted. You can ignore this if you like and pretend it doesn't exist. You can also ignore our country's recent history of racial discrimination if you'd like, and pretend it doesn't exist because you don't acknowledge it. White people have long reserved to right to determine whether race discrimination exists or not.

Clone get over it man. Yes there is Racism in this country, although I don't believe it is around every corner like you.

It is very simple the best person should get the job not based on the color of their skin, gender, or anything else.

Let me ask you this....would it have been okay if they threw out the test because there were no hispanics or whites in the top 15?

One more question for you clone....can a white person be a victim of racism?

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    Let me ask you this....would it have been okay if they threw out the test because there were no hispanics or whites in the top 15?]
    There's no record of historical discrimination against white people in this country. What part of your country's history don't you understand?

One more question for you clone....can a white person be a victim of racism?
    Is your hypothetical supposed to supplant our years of history? Or is there no distinction? Cry me a river about white people being victims of racism. It's really, really tough being white in America, isn't it? Your life and my life are fucked up because we're white and colored people are (sniff) against us, aren't they? I cry every night over this.

Olympic Champ

It is very simple the best person should get the job not based on the color of their skin, gender, or anything else.
    If it's so simple, why is this case going before the U.S. Supreme Ct?

White people have long reserved the right to determine when and where racism exists or even if it exists at all.