Thread: Karl Marx and capitalism

Olympic Champ

Default Karl Marx and capitalism

Who first predicted business cycles?

Who predicted Big corporations taking over Capitalist economy?

Who predicted most people in a capitalist economy will not own private business?

Karl Marx, Karl Marx, Karl Marx.

In Marx's time 3/4 of people in America worked for themselves. Today, about 10% only work for themselves. Seems like the main value of Capitalism, private business, is almost nonexistent.

One thing Marx did not and could not predict, is cheap labor from other countries.

BUT there are limits here as well. ENERGY. As oil prices keep skyrocketing, I doubt the economy will keep staying healthy. Stay tuned for Marx's predictions to keep developing.

Olympic Champ

Obviously Marx didn't get everything right. But whether you agree with his theories or not, he is widely acknowledged as one of the great thinkers in Western civilization.

It's curious to me that his theories (among other things a critique of capitalism) basically have been taught (along side others) for many decades in Western universities, but in popular media he is often discredited as a failure and few world governments will claim any affiliation with his ideas. I wonder what America's founding fathers would have thought had Marx been around 80-90 years sooner.

Olympic Champ

matclone,

That's because the majority of Americans are not educated in the field of economy and politics. In high school courses people are still too young to know real life and by the time they are adults, they forget what they have learned.

It is important for the media to keep the minds of the majority (the voting bloc) away from Marx's thoughts. Media's business partners (advertisers) are not interested in flooding public's thoughts with ideas of Karl Marx.

Olympic Champ

That's because the majority of Americans are not educated in the field of economy and politics Very true, I'm sure.

It is important for the media to keep the minds of the majority (the voting bloc) away from Marx's thoughts. Media's business partners (advertisers) are not interested in flooding public's thoughts with ideas of Karl Marx.
    No doubt, Marx is an anathema to a capitalist view as might be held by media corp's and their advertisers. I think there's a story here about the relationship between business and our public schools--although I'm kind of out of touch with the latter.

Olympic Champ

Sure, why encourage good education in public schools if students might learn something that will hurt business agenda?

Olympic Champ

Well, it calls into question the whole purpose of a public education. One notion that's been around a long time is that an education should be designed to make us better workers, i.e., support the interests of what Marx would call the capitalist class, rather than for the purpose of, say, merely preparing us to be contributing members of society.
    Last edited by matclone; 05-08-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Olympic Champ

Ah, so that's why my history teacher in high school repeatedly claimed WWII as the facilitator that pulled USA out of the Great Depression rather than the New Deal projects?

WWII increased government revenues faster than the New Deal could use them up. WWII also put more Americans to work than the New Deal. Nothing like a war to jumpstart the economy!