Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GOP Congressman says: "Terrorists For Obama"!

Default GOP Congressman says: "Terrorists For Obama"!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ate-obama-win/
    GOP congressman says terrorists would celebrate Obama win
    DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) ? An Iowa Republican congressman said Friday that terrorists would be "dancing in the streets" if Democratic candidate Barack Obama were to win the presidency.

Rep. Steve King based his prediction on Obama's pledge to pull troops out of Iraq, his Kenyan heritage and his middle name, Hussein.

"The radical Islamists, the al-Qaida ? would be dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on Sept. 11 because they would declare victory in this war on terror," King said in an interview with the Daily Reporter in Spencer.

King said his comments were not meant to demean Obama but to warn how an Obama presidency would look to the world.

"His middle name does matter," King said. "It matters because they read a meaning into that."

The Illinois senator, born in Hawaii to a white Kansas woman and a Kenyan man, is a Christian and has said he has little connection to the Islamic religion, though he acknowledges he spent part of his childhood in largely Muslim Indonesia.

In criticizing King, Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said, "These comments have no place in our politics." He called on John McCain, the apparent Republican nominee, to "repudiate them like he has previous offensive comments from his supporters."

Last month, McCain denounced an introduction from Cincinnati talk-show host Bill Cunningham, who referred to Obama three times as "Barack Hussein Obama."

UPDATE: CNN's Deirde Walsh reports that Brandon Lerch, a spokesman for Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), says the congressman stands by the comments.

and his wikipedia entry isn't too flattering either:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_King
    Here's my favorite part of that:
    ...When the proponent of the Post Office's name change, Barbara Lee, claimed that King's "campaign of innuendo and unsubstantiated 'concern' is better suited to the era of Joseph McCarthy than today's House of Representatives," King claimed that history showed McCarthy to be "a hero for America"

Hmmmm.....
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Olympic Champ

Default Re: GOP Congressman says: "Terrorists For Obama"!

Steve King is Iowa's embarrassment, just as Tancredo has been Colorado's embarrassment. Their theory of a campaign is very simple: fear and hate buys votes. Their basic strategy is to try to stir these up as much as they can.

When he was still an Iowa legislator and not a U.S. legislator, King introduced a bill that would require schools to teach that the U.S. is the greatest nation (or something to that effect), and that we are founded on a Judeo-Christian heritage. Of course it didn't go anywhere, but he's playing a niche crowd.

Wow. Hope this bad publicity will be enough to get someone to run against him.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Olympic Champ

I think we should applaud the Congressman for his wonderful effort in making people see that Obama is better than his opponents for making friends in the Middle East.

Western Iowa is full of whacko nut jobs. Like I have said before King makes Tancredo look like the Mahatma.

Wouldn't it be good if the terrorists were dancing in the streets? It's a lot easier to find someone if they are outside dancing than if they are hiding in caves.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Olympic Champ

Nov 4, 2008
    BBC
    Following reports of Barack Obama's win in the U.S. presidential race Tuesday, tens of thousands gathered in the streets of Tehran, Bagdhad, Cairo and other Middle Eastern cities to perform impromptu line dances, often to western music such as the Grateful Dead version of "Dancing in the Streets".
    Last edited by matclone; 03-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by zappacy View Post
    Western Iowa is full of whacko nut jobs. Like I have said before King makes Tancredo look like the Mahatma.
    That's funny.

There may be a few nut jobs in Western Iowa but I have to think most of the people are decent, if moderately conservative. The reason King and Tancredo aren't summarily tossed out of office is that they live in very solidly Republican districts and most people there just can't get themselves to vote for a Democrat.

I think it's telling that the DSM Register endorsed King's rival in the last election (per wikipedia). From my observation, papers will almost always endorse a solid favorite, even if they think he stinks.

I will dance in the streets if Obama wins.