Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Record number of people in U.S. prisons

Default Re: Record number of people in U.S. prisons

Quote Originally Posted by ccbig View Post
    Remand drug abuse users to mandatory treatment facilities (As long as their crime is drug use/possession only) End mandatory sentences for drug possession.

This would open available cells to to keep violent criminals behind bars. Change mandatory sentences to keep violent criminals behind bars longer.

Drastic increase the fines and penalties for white collar crimes like those for illegal stock schemes and identity theft that have ruined innocent peoples lives. Millions of dollars are stolen with a slap on the wrist.

I met a man in Nevada once who served 5 years in jail for simple possession of pot. (not a dealer or a dealer's amount of pot) Meanwhile I know of a man who stabbed a man in a bar fight 10 times and served no jail time, he later chased a woman out of a 2 story apartment window with a knife where she had serious injuries. He served 3 years for that crime.

The system is broken and needs to be fixed.
    I find it amusing that some people call for lighter jail sentences for drug offenders and criminals they think are non-violent, yet they want tougher sentences for white collar criminals. This is a double standard.

Drug offenders and non-violent criminals still ruin innocent people's lives, just like white collar criminals do. It seems like those who advocate tougher punishment for white collar criminals and not for all criminals have class envy issues. They would rather stick it to someone who has more than they do than stick it to someone who has less, even though both infringed on the rights of others.

Drug use does not necessarily infringe on the rights of others. Identity theft and other white collar crimes do.

Also, wanting lighter sentences for drug offenders/non-violent criminals and wanting harder sentences for white-collar criminals is not a double standard if there is a big discrepency amoung current sentencing guidelines.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    I find it amusing that some people call for lighter jail sentences for drug offenders and criminals they think are non-violent, yet they want tougher sentences for white collar criminals. This is a double standard.

Drug offenders and non-violent criminals still ruin innocent people's lives, just like white collar criminals do. It seems like those who advocate tougher punishment for white collar criminals and not for all criminals have class envy issues. They would rather stick it to someone who has more than they do than stick it to someone who has less, even though both infringed on the rights of others.
    Don't misunderstand me- If a drug user injures someone or kills someone in a car accident for instance I would consider that a violent crime. (unlike it is now) and should be punished considering the vehicle as a deadly weapon. The same should be done for DWI drivers who injure or kill others.

The punishment should be the same as that given to a person who uses a gun in my opinion. Even then for violent crimes the sentences are pretty weak because of jail overcrowding the violent people get out too quickly.

White collar criminals let's use the Enron folks as a example cost thousands of people the loss of huge amount of money. Many people lost their whole retirement funds and had to go back to work simply to survive. Meanwhile almost none of these thieves did jail time let alone suffer any financial losses.

How can a person whose crime effected thousands of people and stole millions of dollars not be worse then someone who is harming themselves?

Is it because they wore a suit & tie while doing their crime?

A white collar criminal almost always harms many more lives and causes more financial damage then any single drug user ever could.

However the drug user who is basically only harming themselves needs to be offered treatment not jail time. Otherwise shouldn't we jail everyone who does risky behavior that could injure them? By that line of thinking we should be jailing people who skydive or do extreme sports because over time they will injure themselves and maybe others too.

Maybe we should jail people who have sex without condoms. That is unhealthy behavior that could injure themselves and others too. With that line of thinking we will only have 2 kinds of people- prisoners & guards.
    Last edited by ccbig; 03-01-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Added text

The prison industry is the fastest growing industry I believe in the nation. We have the highest incarceration rate in the world. Why? Crime has been steadily decreasing for decades. Filling prisons by escalating the punishment for minor crimes most notably drug possession is a means of social control. Millions of Americans have been left destitute by the rise of conservatism since Reagan took office. With little opportunities available to them many resort to preying on one another to survive. Providing for the increasing number of homeless and jobless the right way by providing them with affordable housing, real jobs and a social safety net to meet their basic needs would require a decrease in corporate welfare and consumerism and a redistribution of private wealth which is exactly what conservatism is designed to maintain and foster. The easier and corporate enriching way is to simply toss the indigent in jail. Just do the Juliani. Problem solved, out of sight out of mind. Is the prison industry really correctional? Does locking people up like caged rats in dangerous, tortuous conditions rehabilitate them? How effective and prevalent are programs designed to help prisoners overcome the obstacles of life in lower class America which landed them in prison? Not very, as the recidivism rate manifests. And the industry that is supposed to rehabilitate them will continue welcoming back their revenue source with open arms.

Olympic Champ

Yes. We often heard free market ideologues claim that only the private sector "creates" jobs. Well, they're at their most creative when they get the public to foot the bill, while they extract the profit. It works for the war industry, and it works for the prison industry.

We have the highest incarceration rate in the world. Why? Crime has been steadily decreasing for decades

Crime has been decreasing because the criminals are in jail. That's kind of the purpose of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Yes. We often heard free market ideologues claim that only the private sector "creates" jobs. Well, they're at their most creative when they get the public to foot the bill, while they extract the profit. It works for the war industry, and it works for the prison industry.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but we often hear liberal idealogues claim that the public sector "creates" jobs, as if the public sector earns its money from business transactions instead of taxing the private sector.

The private sector makes money from sellign things for private sector dollars. The public sector can not exist if the private sector does not fund it -- thus the public sector can not CREATE jobs. Jobs can ONLY be created by the private sector.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    We have the highest incarceration rate in the world. Why? Crime has been steadily decreasing for decades

Crime has been decreasing because the criminals are in jail. That's kind of the purpose of the whole thing.
    In the paper the other day, I read that if the jailed population goes up 10%, there is a corresponding 3% drop in crime. Just think: if we threw everyone in jail, we wouldn't have any crime. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    In the paper the other day, I read that if the jailed population goes up 10%, there is a corresponding 3% drop in crime. Just think: if we threw everyone in jail, we wouldn't have any crime. Problem solved.
    Conversely, if we never threw anyone in jail, we' have anarchy.

I never said that there was a one to one relationship, but there is certainly a correlation.