Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you answer these Qs about the U.S. Supreme Ct?

Olympic Champ

Default Can you answer these Qs about the U.S. Supreme Ct?

From different places I've been hearing a lot of people don't know some basics about the Court. I'm just curious about these claims. And we are nearing an election which is related, in more ways than one, to the business of the Court.

Reply yes or no, or actual answers if you choose, or no answer. Or comment on what I've suggested above if you choose.

Easiest to hardest:

1. How many members are on the court?

2. Who is the Chief Justice? Who was the Chief Justice before the present chief?

3. Name the members of the current court, or as many as you can.
    Last edited by matclone; 02-25-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Can you answer these Qs about the U.S. Supreme Ct?

Bonus point:

4. Which drug(s) was the last Chief Justice addicted to?

Olympic Champ

New rule: you have to answer at least one question before you can add a new one.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    New rule: you have to answer at least one question before you can add a new one.
    John Roberts is the current Chief Justice. William Rehnquist was the last one.

From different places I've been hearing a lot of people don't know some basics about the Court. I'm just curious about these claims. And we are nearing an election which is related, in more ways than one, to the business of the Court.

Reply yes or no, or actual answers if you choose, or no answer. Or comment on what I've suggested above if you choose.

Easiest to hardest:

1. How many members are on the court?

2. Who is the Chief Justice? Who was the Chief Justice before the present chief?

John Roberts, William Rehnquist

3. Name the members of the current court, or as many as you can.

John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, John Paul Stevens, Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, David Souter (Had to really think for this one though)

Not too bad, like I said I really had to think to get Souter.

Olympic Champ

Good job, Jensen, and Big.

"More than half of adults do not know that there are nine Supreme Court Judges"--Jacoby, The Age of American Unreason (299);

"Two thirds of Americans cannot name the three branches of government or come up with the name of a single Supreme Court Judge" Ibid at 298;

Only 40 percent of television watchers know that the primary mission of the Supreme Court is to interpret the Constitution" Ibid. (citing a 2006 poll from the Annenberg Public Policy Center).

One of my bosses asked me the other week to name the nine. Of course, I said. But, yeah, I had to pause a minute before I could name the ninth (Stevens).

Olympic Champ

I think you need a lot of dumb people in order for America to work. Although they have to be hard working.

If people knew too much they would be thinking instead of working and making money.

Olympic Champ

Tricky bonus question #1 (although you can probably make a good guess just from focusing on the time in which this occured, particularly in conjunction with a fact mentioned below):

Sometime in the late 60s, the Nixon administration begain electronic wiretapping of domestic threats--without warrants (a precusor to a similar issue today). In an oddly named case, U.S. v. U.S. Dist Ct for the Eastern Dist of Michigan, Judge Damian Keith ruled that this was a constitutional violation of the 4th amendment (illegal search and seizure). The government appealed its case to the U.S. Supreme Ct. where they lost 8-0. One of the Supreme Ct justices had to recuse himself because he previously worked for Nixon. In fact, it's been argued that he was the architect of the legal theory that gave the Nixon administration the idea that they could do these warrantless wiretaps.

Who was this judge who had to recuse himself?
    Last edited by matclone; 02-25-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Tricky bonus question #1 (although you might have a clue from the era):

Sometime in the late 60s, the Nixon administration begain electronic wiretapping of domestic threats--without warrants (a precusor to a similar issue today). In an oddly named case, U.S. v. U.S. Dist Ct for the Eastern Dist of Michigan, Judge Damian Keith ruled that this was a constitutional violation of the 4th amendment (illegal search and seizure). The government appealed its case to the U.S. Supreme Ct. where they lost 8-0. One of the Supreme Ct justices had to recuse himself because he previously worked for Nixon. In fact, it's been argued that he was the architect of the legal theory that gave the Nixon administration the idea that they could do this.

Who was this judge who had to recuse himself?
    I didn't answer the other because Jensen answered it, and it seemed a bit unfair with me being in law school, but this is a fun one. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure it's William Rehnquist.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...