Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion in public schools

Default Religion in public schools

Looking for some opinions.

Is it appropriate for teachers to lead Bible study / hymn singing groups for students at public school before or after school hours? (middle school or high school)

Default Re: Religion in public schools

I think it is fine. If the group is voluntary then go for it. I went to the FCA in high school which was sponsored by a teacher/coach and was held during lunch in the auditorium. They would have guest speakers and it was fun.

It's not fine at all. It sends a message that the school endorses a particular religion, which as a tax supported institution it has no right to do. Ugly and I have been over this before, and I don't particularly want to rehash it as we have agreed to disagree, but it is an issue about which I feel very strongly. If I were a devout believer in a religion, which I'm not, I would feel the same way.

(looks like I'm going to miss Law and Order tonight)
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I have no problem with it. I'm a Christian (Catholic, actually), but I was never in any of those kind of groups (youth group, FCA, etc.). However, their existence never led me to the belief that my school supported a religion.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

However, this all rides on participation in such a program being voluntary.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

I will add: the only place religion belongs in a public school is in a philosophy or comparative religion class. This includes team prayers and invocations at assemblies.

Quote Originally Posted by VakAttack View Post
    However, this all rides on participation in such a program being voluntary.
    Voluntary has nothing to do with it. If a voluntary KKK meeting were held at the school, would you be okay with it? It's only voluntary after all.

It is not a school sponsored event it is a club. Like any club to be held on campus ( at least where I went to school) they are voluntary, non-exclusive and must be sponsored by a teacher. No school funds go to supporting the group and people of all religions or cultures can apply to have a club on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Voluntary has nothing to do with it. If a voluntary KKK meeting were held at the school, would you be okay with it? It's only voluntary after all.
    Now you're going to an extreme. The KKK is directly responsible for constant violence and hatred, whereas a group of Christian kids, Muslim kids, Jewish kids, etc getting together to pray is completely different.

Just because religion is not something you (appear) to subscribe to, doesn't mean it has to be the same for others.

A separation of Church and State resides in fact. That is, a State institution can not, in reality, promote any particular religious belief. However, you can't control how people are going to construe things. Public perception has little to do with it. The school is not, in fact, supporting or promoting one religion over others, even though you appear to construe it that way. They are not funding them. They give equal opportunity for the students to gather.