Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: One thing that makes people in communist countries more fun and friendly

Default Re: One thing that makes people in communist countries more fun and friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Caspiantiger View Post
    Sl, i am not talking about what it takes to qaulify, i am talking about the content of the course.
    that is why i had the one sentence at the end. A former co-worker used to have some free time while he was getting his masters in Biomedical engineering, which he used to get into med school. Don't get me wrong, BME is very hard (my brother is in it right now), is about as broad a field as you will come by, and requires quite a bit of interdisciplinary thought. Anyways, that former co-worker has no free time now, because Med. school is that much bigger of a challenge for him.

From what I have been told, unless you are extraordinarily good at memorizing things and are not-so-quick conceptually, med. school is probably going to be much more difficult than most non. PhD science/ engineering programs.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: One thing that makes people in communist countries more fun and friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    It's a beautiful thing, living in America. Otherwise, I guess everyone would just have to suffer through depression, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
    None of these problems would trouble people if they would pay attention to their bodies more. More rest. more exercise, and less emphasis on materialism and money making. Pills and medicine are not the solution. They are simply masking the problems, a proverbial band aid if you will.

Big, notice that I didn't say anything about plastic surgeons?

Here's why: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773

I think Big has a point in many countries engineering is valued higher. Where i live being a doctor is valued much higher, i think it is mainly due to the money they make though.

I have heard many people say engineering is a harder course than becoming a doctor but i guess i have heard you guys say that medicine is harder now. I guess it depends how good you are at maths, many people find engineering hard because of the maths. I am the opposite i find it easy because of the maths and hard because of everything else.

I think doctors are too easy to give people pills and these sort of things, i can't see how using chemicals can be a good cure, sounds like a downward spiral to me. Then again i am only an engineering student

I know a few medical students and i am sure i am smarter than all of them. They just did better in school than me when we were kids.

In fairness my pet hate are doctors and have found them almost useless, but a lot of my grievance comes from the concept of the NHS.
    Last edited by Caspiantiger; 02-21-2008 at 09:25 AM.

In fairness my pet hate are doctors and have found them almost useless, but a lot of my grievance comes from the concept of the NHS.

If you ever have the opportunity to spend a day at a children's hospital, your opinion of doctors would change. Walk through the neonatal intensive care unit, or the pediatric intensive care unit, or watch a medical helicopter being unloaded, and then tell me that you still hate doctors.

Olympic Champ

I think it is necessary to define what is HARD. Medical school is hard because of tons of memorization. However, Engineering is much harder from the SMARTNESS side. For example the level of physics that doctors have to know is a joke with regard to engineering. The same goes for math. Engineers are much smarter at math and physics. Doctors are better at memorization and stuff.

Frankly, I would value proficiency in math and physics higher on my SMART meter than fanatical memorization of medical terms.

I think it really depends on the person. One may be easy and the other hard depending on how the person thinks. The theory of multiple intelligences

I agree chance, my mind is good for maths, whereas not so good at English.

Flop, i think people's opinion's apply to themself, i used to have a lot of respect for doctors but over the last few years, i have felt let down and it appears they don;t really do anything. However most of my encounters were with GP's and in fairness they don't do much, hospital doctors probably do a lot more.