Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bible course in school

Olympic Champ

Default Bible course in school

I have no problem with it. It is after all one of if not the greatest book of antiquity and the cause of debate world wide.

Personally, indifferent. I don't think kids should be forced to take it, as I wouldn't have taken, nor would I really have wanted to be forced to take a Bible Class had it been offered at my high school.

However, if there enough interest in it with the kids there, I'm not going to get up in arms if its offered as an elective course which looks like its the case.

Olympic Champ

FWIW, I have no problem with it. I "would" want it monitored at first to make sure it was an academic class.

The thing in Texas to make it mandatory.... now that will 'never' fly constitutionally.

I agree with Jensen completely. I took a corse at OU a couple of semesters ago on the Quran. At first I got a little mad when someone would try to de-validate it but then I remember that this is a college corse "study of the Quran" and they have all the right to question it. As with any religious book though people should have respect in their objections. My only problem I had was when a guy dropped his Quran from his desk and was hitting it with his boots to try to slide it back to himself. This may not sound that bad to some of you but for Muslims this is HORRIBLE. But anyways as a elective I think it is a great idea. It might be a better class for college students as some high school students may not be mature enough to discuss such a topic that many consider sacrid in a objective form.
    Last edited by Yazdani; 05-01-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Olympic Champ

Fine by me, and maybe I would even take it, AS LONG AS it is taught by an objective person with a historic oriented agenda where writings in the Bible can be discussed, laughed at, ridiculued and appreciated. I suppose no religious fanatic would approve of such a class though.

It's fine to teach it as literature or a historical document, but not as the gospel.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Well they teach Greek mythology also don't they ?

I agree with all of you, the teaching does need to be academic and without the preasure of making someone believe it. They do teach greek and roman mythology and if they taught the Bible as such it would be accepted by most I would think. Plus the Bible does have some terrific stories in it especially the OT.