Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would McCain be doing now if he were not from admiral's family?

Default Re: What would McCain be doing now if he were not from admiral's family?

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Ok McCain might be a hero in your own American twisted way of nominating war heroes but please don't tell me a man that becomes a hero by refusing to leave the prison is somehow as a result qualified in anything related to leading a country. The war in Vietnam was a disaster for America and for Asia. McCain's actions mean nothing when you look at the general picture.

Do you want a President who will send thousands to die and millions to kill but will go all the way to save a few hundred? I say this because McCain's only regret was that Americans didn't WIN in Vietnam and that more north Vietnamese were not killed. He has no conscience of what a terrible thing he was involved in. As far as he is concerned he was promoting FREEDOM!
    His actions as a POW were incredibly brave. It does not matter what cause he was fighting for, I am sure there were heroic and noble actions by Nazi soldiers in WWII. How he acted and what he sacrificed is the definition of heroism. To think otherwise is just ignorance.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: What would McCain be doing now if he were not from admiral's family?

ODH,

You just don't get it. McCain's "heroism" was meaningless. Those Vietnamese didn't care what McCain wanted to do. His actions didn't help either side one bit.

Thinking McCain would be a good leader because he refused to leave the prison is just ridiculous. It is on the level of refusing to end the LOSING fight because of HONOR. Men will die and honor is meaningless when it has no other goal but honor.

Olympic Champ

You want 4 more years of caring about honor while America gets more hate around the world and Americans get in more debt then vote for McCain. Honor my azz!

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    ODH,

You just don't get it. McCain's "heroism" was meaningless. Those Vietnamese didn't care what McCain wanted to do. His actions didn't help either side one bit.

Thinking McCain would be a good leader because he refused to leave the prison is just ridiculous. It is on the level of refusing to end the LOSING fight because of HONOR. Men will die and honor is meaningless when it has no other goal but honor.

No, you don't get it. It might have been meaningless and and not accomplished anything, but without a doubt it is heroism nonetheless.
    Does a person rushing into a burning building to save a child become less of a hero because the buidling collaspes and they both die? Obviously not.

As far as a good leader, he has accomplished much since the war. Further evidence of his leadership is that I am a liberal democrat who will not vote for him but believe that he would make a good president.

Olympic Champ

The person rushing to save a child has a chance. McCain had no chance to order Vietnamese what to do with prisoners.

I tell you right now it was more a feeling of guilt about what people would say if a privileged American got released while others stayed in prison. No more.

Is it possible he stayed because the American military believes in leaving no one behind? Even if it was a feeling of guilt, he was still imprisoned and tortured.

People can draw on their life's experiences when they lead. Everything from games he played as a child to being tortured to serving years in the Senate has helped shape this man's view on issues. Perhaps that will give him some qualities that others don't have. You may not agree with those views, but we can agree that his experiences aredifferent from anyone else in the race for president.

What appears to be the issue here, though, is that you don't like this man, for whatever reasons you have, and are trying to discredit him. He was brave enough to volunteer to serve for your country's military and risked his life in order to protect the land that is giving you freedom and opportunity. You may not agree with his views, but you cannot deny that he voluntarily put himself in danger for a cause that he viewed as helping others. No one else in the race has done that.

Olympic Champ

He was brave enough to volunteer to serve for your country's military and risked his life in order to protect the land that is giving you freedom and opportunity. You may not agree with his views, but you cannot deny that he voluntarily put himself in danger for a cause that he viewed as helping others. No one else in the race has done that.

All wrong! There was a draft back then. He graduated from Navy and you have to be in the military if you graduate from Naval Academy. He went to Navy because his family got him there. He was a horrible student and could not do anything else. America was not in any danger from Vietnam. I had a great life in Russia as well. My parents brought me here. In other words to me personally the outcome in Vietnam made no difference whatsoever! How many mistakes can you make in three sentences?
    Last edited by Big; 02-09-2008 at 05:45 PM.

All wrong! There was a draft back then. He graduated from Navy and you have to be in the military if you graduate from Naval Academy. He went to Navy because his family got him there. He was a horrible student and could not do anything else. America was not in any danger from Vietnam. I had a great life in Russia as well. My parents brought me here. In other words to me personally the outcome in Vietnam made no difference whatsoever! How many mistakes can you make in three sentences?

Sure there was a draft, but he wasn't drafted. He did attend the naval academy, but that was his choice and the compulsory service afterward was part of that choice.

To say that America was not in any danger is subjective and has always been debatable. You can declare me wrong just as I can declare you wrong, but neither one of us has any other evidence than your word or mine.

But, perhaps you didn't read or understand my post. The point was that McCain CHOSE to do something that risked his life in order to serve his country. The benefits of the mission can be debated, but we know for a fact that he would have engaged in whatever was asked of him (the compulsory service part).

I never said that you had to like the guy. But, he did risk his life for a greater cause than his own personal satisfaction. You can't say that about any other candidate.

Olympic Champ

I am saying that is exactly what America does not need. A guy who likes to risk his life for an uncertain cause and this guy is in charge of America.