Thread: Delegates?

Default Delegates?

When I voted today there were no delegates for John Edwards. His name was on the list of candidates, but on the delegates page it said pick six and there were six Clinton delegates, six Obama delegates and four Richardson delegates.

What's up with that?
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Delegates?

Funny that there were Richardson delegates, but none for Edwards.

I second your question....What's up with that?

Default Re: Delegates?

I found this in an October Sun-Times article by Lynn Sweet. Basically, it says that there are 19 districts and that there might be delegates in other districts but that he didn't organize a slate. Not sure why.

"John Edwards' campaign aides said Friday he will be filing for the Illinois ballot and is not organizing a slate. They expect individuals to file on their own to run as Edwards delegates. That leaves Edwards in a poor position to leverage any wins in early caucus and primary states in delegate-rich Illinois.

Illinois has one of the earliest 2008 filing deadlines in the nation.

Illinois Democrats will elect 100 delegates and 19 alternates to the 2008 Democratic convention in Denver from the 19 congressional districts in the state. The number of delegates from each district ranges from four to eight.

The apportionment is based on the number of Democratic votes from each district in the 2000 and 2004 presidential and gubernatorial contests.

After the Feb. 5. vote, delegates in each district will be allocated under a formula based on the primary vote each presidential contender received."
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln