Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire approves gay civil unions

Hybrid View

Default New Hampshire approves gay civil unions

CONCORD, New Hampshire (Reuters) - New Hampshire lawmakers authorized same-sex civil unions on Thursday, in a bill that will complete New England's transformation into a unique U.S. region where gay and lesbian couples have some form of legal recognition and conjugal rights.

The Democratic-controlled Senate voted 14-10 along party lines to give gays and lesbians nearly the same rights as married couples. The bill sailed through the House of Representatives on April 4, and Democratic Gov. John Lynch said last week he would sign it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...48255520070427
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Good for New Hampshire! Why shouldn't gays get to experience the same cr@p that heterosexual couples go through.

But seriously, I'm glad that gay relationships will have the same opportunities that hetero couples have. Their love and committment to each other is just as sincere, and to me they are no different than a hetero couple that is physically unable to produce children.

And I'm also glad when legislation such as this passes because it is an indication that religion can successfully be kept out of government.
    Last edited by Spider; 04-27-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

THe most important part of this legislation to me is the right to make decisions concerning medical issues.

I believe that this issue should be put to a popular vote. I dont think that the state congress should just make the decisions for the people. Whether it is religious or not people should have the right to vote and see what the people want.

"I believe that this issue should be put to a popular vote. I dont think that the state congress should just make the decisions for the people. Whether it is religious or not people should have the right to vote and see what the people want."

If this were the way things were done, the South would still be segregated. What's popular isn't always what's right.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    THe most important part of this legislation to me is the right to make decisions concerning medical issues.

I believe that this issue should be put to a popular vote. I dont think that the state congress should just make the decisions for the people. Whether it is religious or not people should have the right to vote and see what the people want.
    In my opinion, this issue is completely academic, because anyone can execute a durable power of attorney, designating whomever he or she wants to make medical decisions in an emergency. A gay person could designate his or her partner as durable power of attorney for health care by downloading the necessary form from the Intenet, and signing it in the presence of a notary.

Quote Originally Posted by phillywrestler View Post
    In my opinion, this issue is completely academic, because anyone can execute a durable power of attorney, designating whomever he or she wants to make medical decisions in an emergency. A gay person could designate his or her partner as durable power of attorney for health care by downloading the necessary form from the Intenet, and signing it in the presence of a notary.

Then why have marriages at all? To ensure that children have two parents? Yeah, that seems to be working pretty well . . .

This is an issue that the people should vote on who is to say that the people of New Hampshire would not have voted in support of this bill. I just want the people to have their voice it is the right thing to do. I agree what is popular is not always right but we arent talking about splitting the country.

Maybe the issue here is whether legislators should vote the will of their constituents or their own conscience (when these two may conflict). Were they elected simply as a voice of the people or were they elected because of their personal integrity and beliefs? I don't have an answer for this, but I tend toward the latter.

I think it's interesting that the opening post on this topic said that the vote was along party lines. That's too bad because it indicates that, as I think you imply, the issue became a political one rather than one of social conscience.

Ugly,

I always enjoy our discussions very much, but I'm leaving right now for the weekend and won't be around a computer until Sunday night, so I have to sign off.

Have a good weekend.