Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire approves gay civil unions

Just saw your reply. I'll just repeat that I'm not so sure this is a question which should be decided by popular vote. And while it may not be quite as inflammatory an issue as segregation, it still gets some people pretty emotional.

I'm outta here . . .
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    THe most important part of this legislation to me is the right to make decisions concerning medical issues.

I believe that this issue should be put to a popular vote. I dont think that the state congress should just make the decisions for the people. Whether it is religious or not people should have the right to vote and see what the people want.
    In my opinion, this issue is completely academic, because anyone can execute a durable power of attorney, designating whomever he or she wants to make medical decisions in an emergency. A gay person could designate his or her partner as durable power of attorney for health care by downloading the necessary form from the Intenet, and signing it in the presence of a notary.

Quote Originally Posted by phillywrestler View Post
    In my opinion, this issue is completely academic, because anyone can execute a durable power of attorney, designating whomever he or she wants to make medical decisions in an emergency. A gay person could designate his or her partner as durable power of attorney for health care by downloading the necessary form from the Intenet, and signing it in the presence of a notary.

Then why have marriages at all? To ensure that children have two parents? Yeah, that seems to be working pretty well . . .

I am married because I love my wife and in my religion you get married. Marriage is a religious cerimony and a commintment between two people and God. Marriage has always been a corrupt union in a social sense which is sad because it was originaly a religious union.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I am married because I love my wife and in my religion you get married. Marriage is a religious cerimony and a commintment between two people and God. Marriage has always been a corrupt union in a social sense which is sad because it was originaly a religious union.
    That's fine (no sarcasm - I really do respect that), but it will be a long time, I expect, until any religion accepts gay marriage. I think we are (or should be) limiting this discussion to civil ceremonies, which many people utilize. Marriage is a legal contract with certain rights and obligations attached. If unmarried couples (gay or straight) can achieve these same contractual terms, why should marriage exist as a legal entity? The government doesn't recognize my Bar Mitzvah - even though my religion considers me a man at age 13, I still can't drink, vote or consent to sex until the government says I can. So while the religious ceremony of marriage may have much meaning to the participants, why should the government bother to recognize it?

Olympic Champ

And because folks like yourself feel it is corrupt in a social sense works for me as I have no intent on ever getting married again. I have family and friends who have been together many years, with childern together, who never bothered with it. I am going to follow the same tact..... let it become just a religious institution.

"That's fine (no sarcasm - I really do respect that), but it will be a long time, I expect, until any religion accepts gay marriage"
    -The Unitarian church as been accepting, and performing, marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples for decades
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    "That's fine (no sarcasm - I really do respect that), but it will be a long time, I expect, until any religion accepts gay marriage"
    -The Unitarian church as been accepting, and performing, marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples for decades
    Good for them (again, no sarcasm)! Shows how much I know about religion .

Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post

And because folks like yourself feel it is corrupt in a social sense works for me as I have no intent on ever getting married again. I have family and friends who have been together many years, with childern together, who never bothered with it. I am going to follow the same tact..... let it become just a religious institution.
    I think that is respectable if marriage is not right for you then dont do it. I think that there are many government upsides to marriage but if you get a divorce then we know if you are the man there are many downsides as well.

I also believe that the government helps more with children than it does just with married couples as far as taxes are concerned. Having two children myself I agree with child tax credits.

But lets face facts when it comes to marriage it realy doesnt matter whether you are religious or not. People on both sides of the fence get divorced at the same rate. Marriage is not taken as seriously as it should be and I believe that many people today look at it as a game or something that is easy to get out of. I hate the fact that we have 24hour wedding chappels in Vegas and all of the other practices that cheapen the commitment that marriage should be.

I admire those who can make the commitment and carry it to the end with joy and with equal admiration the folks who can stay together in a commited relationship without pomp of a wedding that they do not believe in.