Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates vow to hunt down American vessels, kill crew.

Default Pirates vow to hunt down American vessels, kill crew.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090415/ap_on_re_af/piracy

"We will seek out the Americans and if we capture them we will slaughter them," said a 25-year-old pirate based in the Somali port of Harardhere who gave only his first name, Ismail.

"We will target their ships because we know their flags. Last night, an American-flagged ship escaped us by a whisker. We have showered them with rocket-propelled grenades," boasted Ismail, who did not take part in the attack on the Liberty Sun.

So... Here are a couple ideas for how to combat this:

#1) All American flagged/owned vessels now should carry 10+ trained, armed military personnel. Over the ship's speaker system, announce that the ship should come no closer, that the crew is protected by the US Military, and that they will open fire. If they continue, you blow their ship out of the water.

Then, to further the cause,

#2) Send out ships that are flagged US, packed with armed military, allow the pirates on board so they can "capture" the ship. Take all of these pirates hostage and use them to lure more pirates to the scene (threaten to kill them if they won't call for back up- which they 'need for support against the US military that is coming to the scene'). When the new pirates arrive, they get the surprise that the ship is not actually captured, but instead their friends are.. and now they are.

Worst thing to happen now is if the Somali pirates get onto another ship and start killing our unarmed people- its a simple fix.. Arm the crew, kill the pirates.

Default Re: Pirates vow to hunt down American vessels, kill crew.

I am curious how many US flagged ships are using this shipping lane.
    Is it dozens? or thousands?
    I think a single ship has a very low probability of being attacked, therefore the decoy ships you suggested in #2 would probably not work.

I am all in favor of a strong response.
    If I was a Somali pirate right now, I would be looking for a new line of work, not making pulic threats. They should look at what happened to Saddam.

I don't know the number of US flagged ships, but if you want to get caught, it's a lot easier. Send off fake information about the value of the ship's load, go slow enough to be caught but fast enough to not be detectable as a trap, and put up a weak enough defense to allow them up with no injuries... Probably a bit more extreme than #1, but a multi-prong approach wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I am curious how many US flagged ships are using this shipping lane.
    Is it dozens? or thousands?
    I think a single ship has a very low probability of being attacked, therefore the decoy ships you suggested in #2 would probably not work.

I am all in favor of a strong response.
    If I was a Somali pirate right now, I would be looking for a new line of work, not making pulic threats. They should look at what happened to Saddam.

I have no problem with the US ships being armed with whatever means necessary to blow those little POS to smithereens.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    its a simple fix.. Arm the crew, kill the pirates.
    Yep, that in combination with using the drones to preemptively take the pirates out.

Thats my favored idea anyway.

Gee, the same geniuses that ran out of gas on their boat, and asked to make a phone call to their wife on the boat, and all the while allowing his buddies to be sniped. Something tells me that these Darwin candidates would wind up hurting themselves instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Yep, that in combination with using the drones to preemptively take the pirates out.

Thats my favored idea anyway.

The drones are pretty slick. They fly a lot of them from a base in Vegas like it's a computer game. If they use the drones it'd be even better - the pirates wouldn't even know who to complain to. (though they'd probably be more expensive than at least my #1... probably not as much as #2, though #2 would be less murderous.)

Or maybe some of their RPG's will blow up in their dingy's. I want them to be chum.

I'll admit I don't know squat about ships but I still believe the old cowboy adage that the advantage goes to those with elevation on their side should apply here. Thus, if these little pirates have to pull up to a ship and then they have to climb aboard, shouldn't it be fairly easy to blast them off the ship as they're climbing over the rail to come on deck?
    Your ignorance is painful to witness.....