Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new Cold War on the rise

btw, i never said the shield WAS being built to defend europe against iran...if the world wanted iran gone, it would certainly end up sacrificing israel but they would get their bombs off in a damn hurry as well and there would be nothing but two smoldering countries at that point...

this is about the US saving face in the world community getting North Korea and Iran to comply with giving up their rogue nuclear programs...i am not saying its right or wrong, I am just calling it how i see it...if Bush can somehow get Iraq to a semblence of a democracy, get iran to stand down and N Korea, he will have done what he set out to do, but it wasn't pretty and it was not the slam dunk that he and his over-exhuberant generals thought it was going to be...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Round of 12

I don't understand, one the one hand, the Red Cadre says, "Why is American military sticking its nose in Europe? Can't those countries decide for themselves what shields they need?" On the other hand, some of those countries want American missles on their soil (Poland) and are willing to base them there, the Red Cadre doesn't want this. Isn't this an example of the self determination advocated above (Can't those countries decide for themselves what shields they need?" )? Why doesn't the Red Cadre support this self determination? Methinks they talk out of both sides of their mouth!

Olympic Champ

oc,

Why do Poland and Czech need protection against Iran and North Korea? They might want protection against Russia but the US is not saying the shield is against Russia.

Gopherphan said,

"that being said, the best offense is a good defense..."

I guess in Iraq's case it was the opposite.

The purpose of the shield is also to blockade Russia in terms of conflict. Russia's economy has been booming the past 5 years. The economy has been going up 6-10 percent each year. This threatens America's stance as the current superpower in the globe. America realizes that they can't stop Russia from becoming an equal ecnomic power, but they feel they can try to stop Russia from expanding their military further. Russia's military prescense will grow as their economy grows and America see this. Once Russia 's economy is at it's peak, then it will try to expand further but they won't be able to because of America's blockade in Eastern Europe. The USSR was dangerous because of their military prescense, but America realized their weakness was their domestic problems. The economy was terrible. Russia now has a strong military and a democracy. The economy is not there yet, but it soon will be. A democratic Russia with a booming economy and a strong military is America's worst nightmare.
    Last edited by satiev1; 04-29-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Olympic Champ

Not so satiev! An UNDEMOCRATIC Russia with a strong economy and a strong military is America’s worst nightmare. Truly Democratic Russia will just be America’s 51st State.

Big, everyone has their own defintion of democracy. I don't feel America is more democratic than Russia and vice versa. The western media just portrays Russia as a big bad country with a dictator. Russia dosen't have to model it's democracy after America to be considered democratic. A country can be anti-western and democratic at the same time.

Olympic Champ

Saitiev,

America can buy enough Russian votes to make Russia 51st state. That is why Russia can’t have Democracy, because of Western pressure.

There are about a dozen Russian opposition Parties supported by the West.

Olympic Champ

It would take only one reform to change Russian laws to allow foreign oil companies to develop Russia’s oil fields and Russian independence would be history.