• Unfair

0 0%
  • Just crazy

1 12.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fair Tax

Default Re: Fair Tax

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Because they will know they will get taxed through the roof on every purchase.
    Under the current tax system if you are grossing $1,000 a week and the federal government is taking out 25% for federal income tax and 7 1/2 % for social security then your net is $675 to spend or save as you please.
    Under the Fair Tax plan you would take home your entire $1,000 to spend or save as you please but anything new that you purchase will have a 23% tax added to the price.
    The fact that you have more to spend makes you think that you will spend less?

I know that I left out state and local taxes which in your case and mine are just about the highest in the country but those taxes are there under the current plan and the Fair Tax plan. Nothing changes there. What I did not add into my example is the prebate checks that would be mailed to all wage earners that make it so that the national sales tax, which is what the Fair Tax plan is, would not cause a burden on the poor, working poor, and elderly.

Olympic Champ

You have to understand how most people think. They will get used to their check without taxes, get a better apartment or a house or whatever and then start complaining about how everything that you buy is taxed so much.

There is a reason why the taxes are taken out before you even get the check!

Olympic Champ

Besides, many poor people and part timers pay very little taxes but would have to pay high taxes on their purchasing.

You have to understand how most people think. They will get used to their check without taxes, get a better apartment or a house or whatever and then start complaining about how everything that you buy is taxed so much.

There is a reason why the taxes are taken out before you even get the check!
    Those that spend their lives complaining will complain no matter what life presents them with.

Besides, many poor people and part timers pay very little taxes but would have to pay high taxes on their purchasing.
    Big, you like to read so read this short white paper first and then explain how this will hurt the poor. http://www.fairtax.org/PDF/FairTaxPr...lained2007.pdf

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by hardcore View Post
    Big, you like to read so read this short white paper first and then explain how this will hurt the poor. http://www.fairtax.org/PDF/FairTaxPr...lained2007.pdf

The numbers seem very low. How are we going to fight wars on terror with such low taxes?

The same way that we are now.....more debt. This is a revenue neutral plan. It will bring in the same as the current tax plan.
    The FairTax plan in and by itself will not cure our economic ills. To belive that is niave. We need to reduce the size of the federal government. Spending is out of control with no end in sight. Until we get our fiscal house in order we can not hope to solve many of our nations problem as they are directly tied into this issue.

Prices of products will go down because the companies will not be taxed, the imports will not be taxed etc... and then the taxes will bring the prices back where they are today.

It sounds like a good idea, but I'd hate to revamp our entire tax stucture and then find out it didn't work.

Being wrong about this could destroy us.

I agree with hardcore, there are other issues that we could work on that wouldn't be so risky.