Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is just sad how much more articulate and smart Clinton is than Bush Jr.

Olympic Champ

Default It is just sad how much more articulate and smart Clinton is than Bush Jr.

Saw an interview with Clinton on Larry King show last night. Wow, it is simply a treat to listen to Clinton after Bush's rants. Clinton doesn't include God in every sentence to start. God will help us heal after VT shooting......and so on.

But, more importantly Clinton speaks with a calm voice while Bush just has that angry, provocative, and controvercial voice that is just so hard on the ears.

Clinton is a thinker and he is able to formulate tough ideas in a simple to understand way. Bush speaks in sound bites.

What a difference!!!

National Finalist

Good, I'll tell Slick Willy that you are "Big".

It's true, Big. I often think that I'm glad that my grandfather isn't alive to see this. He immigrated to the US from Holland as a teenager after World War I, and was always interested in politics. He read everything and had more of a world view than most. He was pretty Republican but I know he would be disgusted with Bush and his inability to communicate on an intellectual level. We'd all get to hear him rant about it after dinner at family gatherings. Actually, I'd be interested to hear his take on it.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Maybe someone else will remember this too, but I remember someone on the old forum posting something related to how Bush seems to be getting worse with age, as it relates to articulating thoughts. The post was from some website and showed GWB clips from recent events and then some from debates both during the 2000 campaign and previous Texas Gov. campaigns. It was striking how much more articulate he was in Texas Gov. debates.

The website suggested that he may be experiencing early signs of Alzheimers. I'm not ready to accept that, but it was clear that he now seems to stumble over even simple words and concepts, while that hasn't always been the case.

All of that said.......Clinton is possibly the best speaker we've had as president in the modern age. Certainly since JFK. Not only does he seem to be able to think on his feet, he also has a very calm demeanor about him when he's speaking that comes across as authoritative. I wasn't always a fan of his policies, but he certainly did more good than bad. No matter what you think about him getting hummers in the Oval Office. I for one think maybe a BJ would do GW some good. The country as a whole seemed to do pretty well while Bill was getting a knob shine.

Debating about who sounds smarter is a very subjective topic. One's opinion can be influenced by such a large number of factors that I'm not sure anyone can pinpoint all of them. All that any one of us can do is call it as we see it.

Living in a place that Clinton called home for a little over a year (and got married here), I've had the chance to hear him speak in person. He is very articulate, but he didn't seem to me to be "regular guy." He couldn't relate well to the life of the "common man," if there is such a thing.

When I heard Bush talk, he was very articulate (though not as smooth as Clinton). But what set him apart was his ability to relate to the "regular joe." He could hold a personal conversation better than Clinton and was immensely knowledgeable. Clinton was a master at sounding empathetic, but his words with me carried little content. He could say, "I know what you're going through," but he didn't know the first thing about liiving and working in the private sector. Bush, on the other hand, was well acquainted with living and working in the private sector and could talk business ,economics, and agronomy with the best of them. At the particular time I met him, he had discussions with university professors about very complex issues like phosphorus runoff from farms and nutrient management. Then, he spoke to business leaders and university economists about economic theory behind business management.

Again, we all see things through our own filters. From my viewpoint, Bush knew a lot more content and related better to the regular guy. Clinton always sounded empathetic, but he didn't know what it meant to be anything other than the rich guy.

Clinton is possibly the best speaker we've had as president in the modern age. Certainly since JFK.

Oh how quickly you've forgotten Ronald Reagan. Smooth as silk and could relate to anyone at any level anywhere in the world. No he was slick Willy, Reagan was from the heart and commanded a presence whenever he was in public.

that would be a personal opinion thing I guess.....

Reagan was so old it was like listening to my grandpa. Sometimes he didn't make a who lot of sense, but he made is sound good and you let it slide because he was old. He did come up with some great sound bites in his day, and he certainly had a way of seeming folksy.

Remember this is the same Reagan who liked to run his day like it was a movie script. Including where everyone should stand, what they should say, etc. He had little "cue cards" made up for him that he kept in his pocket. As an above average actor he was very good as seeming "from the heart". I'm not sure he was any more sincere than any other politician in the "sound bite" era.

Clinton certainly has as much presence as anyone. Not only is he a very large man, both in height and girth, but he has a command that is second to no one.

So, Slick Willy or the Teflon President both make GW sound like a kid in freshman year speech class.

I agree that Reagan and Clinton were the two best speakers. But although Reagan was a great speaker, he did not have nearly the intellectual ability as Clinton did. Bill Clinton is just a genius. What is most interesting, in my viewpoint, is if you throw Bush Sr into the discussion. Unlike Jr, Sr is actually a very intelligent man. Yet Bush Sr probably had the lowest charisma of the presidents that I can remember.

I have my own viewpoint of the last 5 presidents. Of Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, I can say about each of them "like him or not, you have to admit that this is one amazing person." But I just can't make that argument about Bush Jr. I just don't see anything about his life that is impressive. Honestly, let's make a comparison. Jimmy Carter has won a nobel peace prize. Reagan achieved success as an athlete, an actor, a radio announcer, a businessman, and a politician. Bush Sr was a war hero, a great athlete, and has a remarkable list of qualifications before finally becoming president. Clinton had better qualifications than just about anybody else before becoming president. Having his father die before he was born, Clinton was raised from a very poor (lacking in money and education) family and he worked his way up to getting a scholarshp at georgetown university and then becoming a Rhodes scholar. And then there's Bush Jr, who used $2 million of his fathers money to invest in a baseball team which eventually made him rich. He then followed his father's political footsteps, but did not accomplish nearly what his father did prior to becoming president. Sorry, of all the presidents in my generation, I just see Bush Jr as by far the least impressive. The best thing he has working for him is the way he is able to get his way by giving threatening and insulting speeches that a portion of the population understands and responds to. But I cannot respect this "quality", and thank god, the Democrats are finally starting to stand up to this bullsheet.

Olympic Champ

GW Bush has the personality of a salesman--and that's what he's good at. Grippin' and grinnin' and saying the right things to people. He doesn't have near the intellect that most President's have, and he's a nortoriously poor speaker. I've never seen him articulate any complex ideas before. His speaking seems to have improved from what I can see--but then I don't hear him that often.