Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question

Olympic Champ

Default Question

Can hatred of many Republicans for Gonzales be a little related due to the fact that Gonzales is Mexican? I mean , Mexicans are supposed to mow lawns, not be Attorney Generals.

I have never seen Republicans question Libby or Rove like this when Valerie Plame case was going on.

Olympic Champ

At their level, I don't think his being Mexican has much to do with it. And I don't think Republicans hate him. He just did a poor job before the Judiciary Committee, (and maybe he's taking a fall for one of his bosses).

The anti-Mexican bigotry that exists in our country (like the anti-black bigotry of yesterday and today) is strongest amongst the less well-to-do and the less-educated--and the targets of their hate are typically someone lower on the totem pole. If you look at the old South, it wasn't the plantation owner class that disliked blacks so much as it was the poor white farmers. Then, as today, there are many who exploit this, and whip up fear and hatred. If Lou Dobbs et al can get working class people to be angry at other working class people, then they won't complain as much about their working conditions or status in society (while Dobbs and co. take it to the bank).

Olympic Champ

I would disagree with that matclone. The Repblicans are the ones that want to deport Mexicans. Of course, you can claim that much of Republican constituency are red neck Americans so to speak. but then it just proves my point.

Olympic Champ

Big, not all Republicans are alike. You talk about them as if they're all of one mind. I made a distinction based on class.

Olympic Champ

Don't you think Gonzales hearing is political, a chance for Republicans to show voters they are not corrupt? How can that MEXICAN do something wrong in our Judicial system so to speak?

Olympic Champ

Don't you think Gonzales hearing is political, a chance for Republicans to show voters they are not corrupt?

You could look at it that way, I suppose. I'm not so cynical in this instance. I think they are taking their stance because it's the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I would disagree with that matclone. The Repblicans are the ones that want to deport Mexicans. Of course, you can claim that much of Republican constituency are red neck Americans so to speak. but then it just proves my point.
    Well, I can't speak for all red-neck Republicans, but I would only like to see illegal aliens deported, not Mexicans.

Since when do Republicans hate Mexicans?

Olympic Champ

As I argued to Big, Republicans are not all alike. However, the hate-Mexican movement (bigots and xenophobes everywhere) and those who profit from it (talk radio, and cable TV) are more often Republican. You're "I just don't want anyone illegal" argument simply ignores the larger picture. Btw, I get a little offended when people think all of us are so stupid as to ignore the elephant in the room. It may work on talk radio but I'm sitting out here in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post

As I argued to Big, Republicans are not all alike. However, the hate-Mexican movement (bigots and xenophobes everywhere) and those who profit from it (talk radio, and cable TV) are more often Republican. You're "I just don't want anyone illegal" argument simply ignores the larger picture. Btw, I get a little offended when people think all of us are so stupid as to ignore the elephant in the room. It may work on talk radio but I'm sitting out here in the real world.
    You'll have to be a little more clear for me regarding the elephant in the room, I'm not following.

Again with the talk radio thing...