Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big and Others.... on Amazing Grace

News Big and Others.... on Amazing Grace

A question for you. Have you seen the movie Amazing Grace? I would be interested in knowing if you have, if not, watch it, and the special features on the DVD, then come back and comment. I am interested in thought on progression and change of those who were originally "Evangelical" as opposed to who is known as "Evangelical" now, and would like your thoughts on at least these Christians and their work as it has been stated in the past that Christians haven't done much to change society for the good.

Just curious here, not trying to create argument, but wanting to learn your thoughts on this. By the way, the movie, even though clear on the issue of faith for Wilberforce and others doesn't play the role of faith nearly as much as it was in real life.

All Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, and whoever else but especially interested in Big's thoughts.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

---------------------------

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Big and Others.... on Amazing Grace

Haven't watched it but right off the bat this bothers me:

Christians haven't done much to change society for the good.

What is good for you might not be good for me. I like a principle that states: If you want to help society change yourself for the better. The only person you should try to change for the better is yourself. If everyone does that, we will be ok.

Christians changing society downright scares me.
    Last edited by Big; 12-16-2007 at 02:17 PM.

So you are saying you support slavery, are against animal rights, opposed to workers unions and those types of things? Might be a good idea to see the movie and again, special features. Interesting to get your thoughts after seeing the movie. The movie is in video stores now so won't be hard to get and see.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

Olympic Champ

So you are saying you support slavery, are against animal rights, opposed to workers unions and those types of things?

Lets see, Christians promoted slavery and invented slavery in this country. Christians always preached animals are for human enjoyment and at human disposal. Workers' unions used to be Christians' biggest enemy during Tzar and King era. Just because Christians changed their ways doesn't mean they didn't cause these problems to begin with.

Olympic Champ

You know, some of you God loving people think people have a history knowledge only of the past 30 years or so.

National Finalist

Big,
    Don't you think you owe it to Mike to watch the movie and give him your impression? That isn't asking for too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ctc View Post
    Big,
    Don't you think you owe it to Mike to watch the movie and give him your impression? That isn't asking for too much.
    I doubt Big will watch the movie, why would he want to have informed knowledge and comment on an approprite subject.

CTC, have you seen it yet, your thoughts?
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

Olympic Champ

When are we going to see movies about crusades and nuns molesting children and homosexual priests?
    Last edited by Big; 12-19-2007 at 08:37 AM.

National Finalist

Mike,
    My aunt was playing the movie at my mom's place during Thanksgiving. For the first half, I was in another room working on the sermon for my dad's memorial service (passed away 10/17). I saw some of the second half before I fell asleep. It looked good and my wife really liked it. I'll rent it shortly. I'm very busy right now with work and reffing (4 HS events this week) plus. I'll give you my take once I have seen it.