Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alberto Gonzales before Senate Judiciary

Olympic Champ

I thought I explained: the other part of the picture was the independence of the AGs. I didn't hear that idea expressed by anyone here, yet I thought that was the salient point of the whole matter. But maybe you already understood.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I thought I explained: the other part of the picture was the independence of the AGs. I didn't hear that idea expressed by anyone here, yet I thought that was the salient point of the whole matter. But maybe you already understood.
    I agree that they should be independent, but that's not how it works. Their point of view is expected to be generally in line with that of the President. Or, at a minimum, not in direct opposition to the Pres/Administration.

Olympic Champ

I agree that they should be independent, but that's not how it works. Their point of view is expected to be generally in line with that of the President. Or, at a minimum, not in direct opposition to the Pres/Administration.

We're maybe talking about two different things here. No one's questioning the President's appointment of fellow Republicans (I assume they're all Republicans). But the independence I'm talking about is in decisions the AG makes in carrying out his or her job. If he has a case for prosecution, and it's a friend of the President, and everyone knows it, and the AG doesn't prosecute, that sends a message that justice is not really fair in that district. The AG needs to be independent to make tough decisions, without the help of the White House (or take any other "boss").

Olympic Champ

Commentary from the Sunday morning press shows. He has some supporters. But note the paucity of their arguments--essentially: "He's doing a great job".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070422/...es_prosecutors

Matclone, we basically agree on this. My primary point is that he should be getting grilled for the torture memos, and he deserves to be removed for things he has done relating to torture.

The AG stuff is BS, but the D's are using it well. It's similar to Al Capone finally being caught for tax-avoidance.

Olympic Champ

Aren't the torture memos a question of legal opinion? What line of inquiry would you take? From my perspective, Gonzales did what most any lawyer would do, he advocated (in this case made a legal argument) for what his boss (or client) wanted. Now, you could say he stepped over the ethical line, but I think that would be really hard to establish. Now if you wanted to try to get to who wanted to okay torture in contravention of our law, that would make some sense to me. But I dont' think Gonzales is necessarily the one to blame for this.

I don't think the AG thing is BS. So I'm not sure we have a meeting of the minds on that one.

From allhatnocattle.net

"All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

Smoldering Pile of Ashes Believed to be Gonzales
    Found on Chair in Senate Hearing Room

A smoldering pile of ashes found on a chair in the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing room is believed to be the remains of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, officials confirmed today.

The smoking remnants, which appeared on the chair in which Mr. Gonzales had been seated during his testimony Thursday, have a “ninety percent chance” of being the Attorney General, a source close to the committee said.

“We’re going to have to wait for positive identification from the forensics people,” the source said. “But right now, all evidence points to that smoldering pile of ashes being Alberto.”

Mr. Gonzales’ day of testimony got off to a bumpy start as he displayed the memory lapses that have become his hallmark, including forgetting that he had an appointment with the Senate Judiciary Committee that day.

The Attorney General rushed into the hearing room two hours late, still wearing a pajama top, telling the senators that he had forgotten to set his clock radio.

As his testimony wore on, Mr. Gonzales repeatedly frustrated his Senate inquisitors by telling them that he could not recollect important meetings and conversations, prompting Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass) to interject, “Even when I’m on a bender I have a better memory than this.”

At the White House, President Bush gave Mr. Gonzales’ a vote of confidence, telling reporters, “I believe that Alberto can continue to be an effective Attorney General, even if he is a smoldering pile of ashes.”

Elsewhere, the elimination of Sanjaya on “American Idol” has “sent a chill through the no-talent community,” said actress Tori Spelling.

BY ANDY BOROWITZ
    "I like my antiques new " - Steve Martin