Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the devil make him do it?

Olympic Champ

Here is one example of how insensitive college culture in America can be:

I was one and only kid on Penn State wrestling team that did not drink. Every weekend I was invited to parties. I go in there and right away everyone tells me I have to drink beer. When I say "I don't want to" people start calling me anti-social and girls call me weird. So, many times I would just leave and go back to my room.

And you know what, you didn't go out and murder 32 people, you weren't a coward he was.

To try and justify any of his inane, and sociopathic ramblings like you're doing is absolutely assinine. He had absolutely NO excuse what so ever to do what he did.

Olympic Champ

To try and justify any of his inane, and sociopathic ramblings like you're doing is absolutely assinine. He had absolutely NO excuse what so ever to do what he did.

Agree with the second sentence and disagree completely with the first sentence here. His ramblings about rich kids and other things I hear every day. His thoughts are not uncommon.

By the way, this system keeps logging me off and I can't get back on until my name disappears. Can we fix this?

Olympic Champ

Big will never win any awards for tactfulness, but I think he's merely suggesting the guy was affected by psychological stress--a stress which includes national and world events. Is the idea so beyond the pale? I don't think so. How many people did you know who could not function 9-11. How did people react to Vietnam? You think it didn't add a little stress to our lives? Didn't the Unabomber have problems with his relation to the outside world? Right or wrong, Big at least knows how think outside the box--and he does it without being mean-spirited.

I generally don't watch much coverage of tragic events like this, and part of the reason is my discomfort with the media that brings it to us. It's like someone in Atlanta or New York (unconnected to rural Virginia) telling us all how we're all supposed to feel and act and think about these events. Are we supposed to wait for CNN or Fox, or NBC, or NPR to introduce an idea before we can talk about it or accept it?

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    By the way, this system keeps logging me off and I can't get back on until my name disappears. Can we fix this?
    Some other people seem to be having this problem too, we're looking into it. Are you checking "Remember Me" when you log in? If you aren't I'd advise doing that, its what I do and I've yet to have that problem.

If you're posting from work and can't do this, then like I said...we're looking at it.

Olympic Champ

I've had problems too, and "remember me" doesn't seem to help.

Here is one example of how insensitive college culture in America can be:

I was one and only kid on Penn State wrestling team that did not drink. Every weekend I was invited to parties. I go in there and right away everyone tells me I have to drink beer. When I say "I don't want to" people start calling me anti-social and girls call me weird. So, many times I would just leave and go back to my room.
    Big - totally sober - with drunken girls around. Big, Big, Big...

Olympic Champ

I could never acquire a taste for cheap beer. Also, when I get drunk, I just fall asleep. So, whats the point?

However, the most amusing thing I found is that many college students that drink a lot at parties ARE THE ONES with social problems. What I observed is that no one talked much when they arrived at parties until they had their first 3 or 4 beers.

What I observed is that no one talked much when they arrived at parties until they had their first 3 or 4 beers.
    So they were quiet for a minute or two?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.