Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religion vs Employment

Default Religion vs Employment

Basically, Muslim taxi drivers say giving rides to people with alcohol is against Islamic law, and the Airports Commission says refusing fares will result in suspension of a taxi license.

I say if doing your job is against your religion, you better get a new job.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18141546/?GT1=9246
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

This is like hospitals that won't give the morning after pill to rape victims. I agree that if you are not asked to break the law and your job violates your moral or religious standards, get another job.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I agree you should work in a job that is in step with your religious practice or seperate the two.

"I agree you should work in a job that is in step with your religious practice or seperate the two."
    -Someone should tell that to politicians.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

There's a few things that I think come into play here. One is the condition of employment, that is, to whom is the cabbie responsible. If he owns his own cab, then I suppose he can choose who takes money from (gives a ride) and who he doesn't. But, if he does not own his own cab and he works for a private company, he is going to have to do whatever they want him to do. If he or the private company have a contract with the airport, they must honor that contract.

I don't think this is analogous to the thing with the pharmacists. My local pharmacist told me that he had to take the hippocratic oath just like the doctors do and he thought that dispensing morning after pills violated that oath just like killing someone would. It was not a religious issue, just one in which he gave his word. Thus, the cabbie can't claim religion and not lose his job.

Why are people carrying alcohol from airports anyways? But if you choose to live in this country you must find a suitable job for your religious views. As a Muslim I find this a little extreme. Hindu cabbies are rufusing people carrying roast beef sandwiches.
    Last edited by Yazdani; 04-22-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Olympic Champ

I agree with the general statements that religion has no place in business.

For example, a lifeguard that insists on wearing a long skirt during work at the swimming pool for religious purposes. Total crap. Get another job.

BUT, there is a double standard. Why do people have to swear on the BIBLE in court or in many other positions in the government for example?

"My local pharmacist told me that he had to take the hippocratic oath just like the doctors do and he thought that dispensing morning after pills violated that oath just like killing someone would. It was not a religious issue, just one in which he gave his word."

Okay, we're off on a tangent here, but I disagree. The pharmacist's job is to fill the doctor's prescription . . . PERIOD! He can point out potential side effects or drug interactions, but he is no more than a subordinate to the physician. If he doesn't like what the doctor prescribed, he should take it up with the doctor. If he feels he's being a party to malpractice because a prescription is medically inappropriate or illegal (like heroin, but not like the morning after pill), he may refuse to fill the prescription and contact the proper authorities, but it is not his job to make moral judgements about the doctor's prescription.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazdani View Post
    Why are people carrying alcohol from airports anyways?

You've never been to a duty-free store, have you?