Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George Bush....opinion

Default Re: George Bush....opinion

Bush did not make us an elite super power in the world, The people before him did. Last I checked he wasnt the President during WWII or the cold war and he has done nothing inovative for our country except spend more money than anyone else and keep us in a terrible war.

Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    How has Bush harmed the environment? What policies did he put in place that resulted directly in harm to the environment?

How did his policies result in a catastrophic economic environment. You didn't specifically say that, but I assume that by doing the "most harm" to the domestic economy, then you believe that his policies resulted in a horrific domestic economy. Which of his policies did it, and which portion of the economy did it affect.

I think you can legitimately make the case that Bush has damaged the U.S.'s relations in foreign policy, although that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'd also make the case that Bush could legitimately be charged with war crimes for his torture policies. I'd make the case that Bush f'ed up the reconstruction of Iraq. I'd make the case that Bush is one of the least eloquent presidents ever. I'd make the case that Bush is a lover of big government, and should not be called anything close to a conservative.

But, the economy is in great shape, other than the subprime blip, which wasn't Bush's doing. Assuming that you believe the environment is in bad shape, how did Bush cause it?
    I admit I have nothing but my opinion on the economy, however it is my feeling that his deficit spending because of this war coupled with his insistance on keeping his tax cuts has and will continue to cause harm to the nations economic well being.

As for his record on the environment. Here's a comprehensive list of his dealings on the environment from 2001-2005 in a month by month list.

http://www.envirolink.org/external.h...1103180.440298

Many of the damages he has sought to inflict have been blocked by some of the good men in the Congress. e.g. his repeated efforts to open up ANWR to drilling for absolutely no reason what so ever.

I'm sure you can find the Sierra Club website on your own. On there you'll find even more information on how the EPA, National Forrest Service, and other environmental agencies under the direction of the Bush Administration have sought to repeatedly weaken or destroy previous environmental laws for no other reason than to cater to their big industry pocket liners. If it weren't for watch dog organizations like the NRDC and Sierra Club who fight for our wilderness and wildlife his damage would be much worse.

If you want to see a specific example of a place he has continued to allow to be damaged by pollution (both air and noise) in direct conflict with a Clinton signed regulation. Go to the parking lot of the west Yellowstone entrance in the winter. If you can breath or hear without difficulty I'd be surprised.

If you want to see a specific example of a place he has continued to allow to be damaged by pollution (both air and noise) in direct conflict with a Clinton signed regulation.

I'm curious to hear about this one. By executive order, Clinton mandated a bunch of stuff on his last few days in office. When Bush took office, he overrode some of those mandates. What Clinton regulation are you talking about regarding Yellowstone?

The economy - Bush seems to have found a pretty good spot on the Laffer curve, in that government revenues (our tax dollars) are booming, yet tax rates are relatively low, especially for the poor and low income portions of the population. Unfortunately, Bush does love to spend our money. I'd love to see him cut back on the pork and social programs ballooning under his watch. Having said that, our deficit isn't very large relative the size of our economy.

What social programs are ballooning under his watch? I can't think of any.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

The MediCare prescription drug benefit was enacted under the Bush administration, which is the most expensive entitlement program in this nation's history. That's just one social program that has sucked money out of the pockets of those who have earned it and given it to people who did not earn it.

As for the economy, the president has little to do with it. I have said this about every president and I will say it about this one. Congress has the tax and spend power, not the president. The proposals that the president has sent to Congress that have passed have lead to record economic activity -- when else have you seen the DOW at 13,000 or interest rates nearing 1%? Never before in history. Employment levels have never been higher than they have been in periods of the Bush Administration and wages have increased to their highest points in history. But, this is not the result of the president, but of Congress enacting the tax breaks that put more of your hard-earned money in your pocket.

All im going to say right now is that im deployed to the desert and im still trying to figure out why we are here...

Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    The MediCare prescription drug benefit was enacted under the Bush administration, which is the most expensive entitlement program in this nation's history. That's just one social program that has sucked money out of the pockets of those who have earned it and given it to people who did not earn it.
    Well, I'm not going to disagree with you on that one. We all get to pay for it so the big drug companies can keep all the money.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

If you want to see a specific example of a place he has continued to allow to be damaged by pollution (both air and noise) in direct conflict with a Clinton signed regulation.

I'm curious to hear about this one. By executive order, Clinton mandated a bunch of stuff on his last few days in office. When Bush took office, he overrode some of those mandates. What Clinton regulation are you talking about regarding Yellowstone?

Just google snowmobiles/yellowstone/pollution

I'm sure you'll find dozens of articles about this particular policy of delay and deny by Bush and his cronies.

I've been there and seen it myself. The park workers are all wearing gas masks and hearing protection. The exhause fumes are so thick you can't see more than 15 feet at times and the noise is deafening. The Bushies are forcing the park service to conduct yet another study (they've already done 3) to determine the effects of the noise, exhaust and physical damage done by the sleds to the animals and their habitat in Yellowstone. Clinton had put into action a phase out policy for snowmobiles in Yellowstone in favor of multi person snowcoaches for site seeing and wildlife watching tours of Yellowstone. Bush came in his first year and put a stop to the phase out process and has been in delay mode ever since on the issue even though the ban has been upheld in federal court. But then, Bush has never been one to allow a court ruling or the law to stop him from doing what he wants. But that has been known since his coke head days.

Did you even read anything from the site I posted, flop? Or are you just gonna require me to copy and paste 4 years of month by month data to this site? Don't worry, it won't take much reading...the site provides a simple cliffs notes version of each issue with further info if you so desire.

Did you even read anything from the site I posted, flop? Or are you just gonna require me to copy and paste 4 years of month by month data to this site?

I did. I'm not convinced at all that Bush has caused more damage to the environment than any other president, nor am I even convinced that Bush is any worse that Clinton.

I'm hopeful that the first president to whole-heartedly embrace nuclear power will be lauded as our most environmentally friendly president.