Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 104

Thread: My annual Easter religious rant.

  1. #1

    Default My annual Easter religious rant.

    This one is for the "believers" out there.

    When Jesus was about to be put to death, he called his followers together for the Last Supper where he laid out his plan for the future of Christianity.

    He told those present to love each other and model their lives after his own. He also blessed bread and wine and explained that this ritual would bring people closer to God.

    Well, at least this is the simplistic way that I understand it.

    Anyway, what I find most interesting is what he did NOT say or do.

    He did not tell his followers to write three different accounts of his life and then bundle it up with 20+ other books, translate and re-translate and then tell people to pour over every word of it and live their lives by it.

    Christ's message was pretty simple. Do unto other as you would have them do unto you. Period.

    If you have to "study the Bible" on a regular basis, then you're missing the big picture, IMO.

  2. #2

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    Can your other annual religious rants be found under the same title?

  3. #3
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    Christ's message was pretty simple. Do unto other as you would have them do unto you. Period.
    I like that distillation of the Bible. A prominent theologist and author named Karen Armstrong (she was on Bill Moyers recently) is campaigning on this very idea.

    As for people who study the Bible, presumably the other things they find there support the thesis above. It may also have value as a historical account.

  4. #4

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snackem View Post
    Can your other annual religious rants be found under the same title?
    I posted something similar last year around Easter, but I think it quickly became a God Vs No God discussion.

    That is why I said this is for "believers" or for people who and discuss this topic in it's intended context.

  5. #5
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    This one is for the "believers" out there.

    When Jesus was about to be put to death, he called his followers together for the Last Supper where he laid out his plan for the future of Christianity.

    He told those present to love each other and model their lives after his own. He also blessed bread and wine and explained that this ritual would bring people closer to God.

    Well, at least this is the simplistic way that I understand it.

    Anyway, what I find most interesting is what he did NOT say or do.

    He did not tell his followers to write three different accounts of his life and then bundle it up with 20+ other books, translate and re-translate and then tell people to pour over every word of it and live their lives by it.

    Christ's message was pretty simple. Do unto other as you would have them do unto you. Period.

    If you have to "study the Bible" on a regular basis, then you're missing the big picture, IMO.
    As one of our resident atheists, I will say that I believe that Jesus was a great man with great ideas that we all could learn from and would do well to follow. I draw the line at his divinity, but respect his teachings.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  6. #6
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    True believer: God
    Atheist: No God
    Man who receives divine revelation (e.g. Moses, Muhammed): Yes, God
    Agnostic: Maybe, God
    Person in prayer: Please, God
    George Burns or person who can't believe what he just saw: Oh, God
    Ditz: Oh my god!

  7. #7

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    what is this "easter" that you speak of?
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

  8. #8
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    The Bible is an off shoot of the Epic of Gilgamesh which the hebrews brought with them from UR and there were ,more like 200 books to choose from at the councel of Nicea-Constantine gave the monks one year to come up with a workable bible -the same story appears in buddhism ,Wotanism ,Hinduism , etc. . the FreeMasons refer to it as the 'Widows son' theme .
    I am not just talking about the recent works -i.e.-'The DaVinci Code ', 'Holy Blood,holy Grail,'and before that Umberto Eco's 'Foucault's Pendulum'-this goes back through the burning of the Library in Alexandria and the suppression of all knowledge deemed Heretical-such as the fact the earth rotates around the sun-not the other way around . the Bible the true Believer's are reading was written by a Scribe commisioned by a King who placed himself before God .
    I often wish I could believe Jesus walked out of that tomb -but why go through the pain 1st ? If Jesus were Divine he would have miracled himself off that cross.

  9. #9
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: My annual Easter religious rant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    As one of our resident atheists, I will say that I believe that Jesus was a great man with great ideas that we all could learn from and would do well to follow. I draw the line at his divinity, but respect his teachings.
    Jesus sounds like a great guy. One of his followers in Mike Furches lives the ideal of Jesus as I understood Jesus to be. But a lot of his other followers live a little something less desirable.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •