Thread: Mill's beef with Christianity

Olympic Champ

Default Mill's beef with Christianity

Mill says the doctrines to obey, not steal, help the poor, and be honest among others are nice rules to live by.

However, if this is it then what happens to the talented men and women in the area of achievement, risk taking, honor, dignity, and individuality? Christianity lacks any instruction on these vital to human life issues.

Basically Mill says a perfect Christian would be a servile, obedient and lackadaiscal being. A perfect Christian society would not produce a vibrant and progressive society as per Mill.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: Mill's beef with Christianity

what happens to the talented men and women in the area of achievement, risk taking, honor, dignity, and individuality?

Sounds like a good right-wing argument to me. If we do good, and be honest, and help others, we won't achieve anything (towards the acquisition of wealth presumably). Since you made this about Christians (and not just any person) let me see if I can conjure up any Christian figures. Let's see: St. Francis of Assisi or Mother Theresa or Dorothy Day: achievement, risk taking, honor, dignity, and individuality. Check.

Really, he's equating achievement with material wealth, is he not? Is that what we should all be striving for? Just think what all our mothers could have achieved (materially) if they didn't have us little ones hanging on to them or around them for years.

Olympic Champ

Mill is saying Christian morals are important. He is just saying they are not enough for human happiness.

Olympic Champ

matclone. Apply Mill's argument to poor people, not to rich people.

Mill is saying teaching Christian morals to poor people is not enough. You have to educate them and provide resources for them to be confident, energetic and aggressive in pursuit of their interests.

Mill says the doctrines to obey, not steal, help the poor, and be honest among others are nice rules to live by.

These are communal ethics.

However, if this is it then what happens to the talented men and women in the area of achievement, risk taking, honor, dignity, and individuality

These are individual charactertics. I see no reason an individual cannot retain both, Christian or not, obviuously MIlls conclusion is in error.

Mill is saying Christian morals are important. He is just saying they are not enough for human happiness.

Hard to argue with him on that point.

A perfect Christian society would not produce a vibrant and progressive society as per Mill.

Obviously being Christian does not preculde someone from achieving success.

Olympic Champ

Again, Mill is speaking against living strictly by the bible. Where do people find instruction on individuality if they live only by the bible?

You have to realize Mill lived two centuries ago when separation of Church and State were still new thoughts.

Olympic Champ

I believe the concept of the separation of church and state long preceded Mill.

I have no idea what you're talking about by saying that individuality (whatever that refers to) is not in the Bible.