Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should students who are gang members be expelled?

Default Should students who are gang members be expelled?

After reading a news story about a fight at a local high school that involved gang members it started me to think about something.

Should teenagers who are known by police and school officials to be members of a gang be allowed to attend public schools?

Should gang membership by its very nature of violence and crime activity be enough to expel students from a public school?

IMO gang members cause a real physical danger to the rest of the student population. Get them out of our public schools.

I was also troubled by the fact the school seemed to be downplaying the seriousness of gang members violence and having weapons at the school.

Do kids have to die before the school worries about student safety more then getting bad press?

Story link - http://www.startribune.com/local/wes...3aPc:_Yyc:aUUr
    Last edited by ccbig; 04-07-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    If we don't fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don't really stand for them.

~Paul Wellstone~

Default Re: Should students who are gang members be expelled?

What more would you have the schools Do ? A Pike high school kid who was up for valedictorian was expelled in Indianapolis for carrying a Swiss Arm knife -she used it to fix her teachers chair and was suspended for the 'zero tolerance policy'' rule on weapons and violence .
    I broke up a fight between a G and a little white guy and the G had a head from an industrial arts fine cutting tool -yet I was hit with a lawsuit ?
    There exist no ''common sense'' rules in schools -none -that kid in the fight I stopped was 19 years old and a sophomore ; at this pace he will be eligiable for SS before he graduates .
    I really have nothing new to say about the school systems -they should be burned to the ground and start over -metaphorically speaking .
    The only good thing about being disabled is I pay no taxes -I would be shooty as a bear if one dime of my money went to the school system -i have been in prisons where I felt safer than in public schools .

Quote Originally Posted by ccbig View Post
    After reading a news story about a fight at a local high school that involved gang members it started me to think about something.

Should teenagers who are known by police and school officials to be members of a gang be allowed to attend public schools?

Should gang membership by its very nature of violence and crime activity be enough to expel students from a public school?

IMO gang members cause a real physical danger to the rest of the student population. Get them out of our public schools.

I was also troubled by the fact the school seemed to be downplaying the seriousness of gang members violence and having weapons at the school.

Do kids have to die before the school worries about student safety more then getting bad press?

Story link - http://www.startribune.com/local/wes...3aPc:_Yyc:aUUr

Tough call. Who gets to define what gang membership is?
    To expel someone for an alleged affiliation instead of action sounds like a violation of civil rights. In addition, expelling them would put them at a further disadvantage, where they would have no chance to better themselves through school and hypothetically be able to break away from a violent lifestyle.

Students who are violent and are caught with weapons on school property should be dealt with severely.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by ccbig View Post

Two questions to your two questions:

1. What if the gang member hasn't violated any school rules other than hanging out with the "wrong" people?

2. Are you likewise in favor of "three strikes and out" policies?

Tough question, but I can tell you this... I teach kids who are gang members, and I sure as hell wouldn't want them in a public school.

Affiliation is NOT a crime. Only when convicted of a crime should a person be denied privileges otherwise available. If you can kick someone out for being in a gang, then you can kick them out for being in the klan or being communist.

Here's another relevant question.
    What about denial of welfare benefits to those who fail mandatory drug tests?

I'd have to say, technically, no. They haven't done anything wrong and unless you can prove somehow that they committed a crime to become a member they should be treated no different than any other student.

Should all kids who wear trench coats also be expelled?

How about kids who write gruesome short stories in class?

At the very least (and I'm sure many school boards have taken this step) gang stuff should be banned in school. No gang symbols, gestures, dress codes, and any gang related intimidation needs to be taken very seriously.

It's probably best for reasonable principals and teachers to make decisions on a case-by-case basis; however, I don't think gang activity has any place in a school.

I agree eliminate all forms of gang paraphernalia. Institute a dress code, which would be good for most kids not just gang members, prohibit visible tattoos and make kids dress accordingly. Eliminate down time between classes. We had 5min to get from class to class cut that down to 2.5 make the kids carry all books. Create a zero tolerance for any type of gang activity, that could include expulsion for more than one person fighting with another.

Kids need to be safe at school, I am sorry to say I would eliminate a minority of gang students to secure a better future for the non-gang students. Does anyone know the drop out rate of gang members?