Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: America is on a clear path to destruction

Olympic Champ

Default America is on a clear path to destruction

Constant progress is a ridiculous idea. When things are good you just need to maintain them and not try to improve them even more.

Take wrestling as an example. Constant progress of a wrestler is impossible. It would lead to overtraining and ultimate death if not stopped in time. Often you just need to maintain your position.

Things were good in America 15 years ago. Why the need for more profits, more accumulation is beyond me. This greedy and pointless conquest to nowhere will destroy our environment and exhaust our natural resources. Ultimately capitalism is the source of all evil. Greed is not good.

Default Re: America is on a clear path to destruction

The only thing that remains constant is change. I agree that an athlete can become overtrained and people can become pathologically obsessed with overachievement, but if we accepted the status quo and didn't care about progress, we'd be living in caves and marvelling at the wonder of fire. Suppose we find a cure for cancer or AIDS next year. Then would you say that things were okay fifteen years ago, or would you rather live with these cures? I think you would have to agree that the benefits of progress outweigh the drawbacks.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    The only thing that remains constant is change. I agree that an athlete can become overtrained and people can become pathologically obsessed with overachievement, but if we accepted the status quo and didn't care about progress, we'd be living in caves and marvelling at the wonder of fire. Suppose we find a cure for cancer or AIDS next year. Then would you say that things were okay fifteen years ago, or would you rather live with these cures? I think you would have to agree that the benefits of progress outweigh the drawbacks.
    Those examples Spider are much different than making new car models every 2 years or giving out so many mortgages at bogus deals that housing industry collapses or making clothes in China so that people can own 30 pairs of shoes.

Any country makes progress under any system. I am talking about blind progress to nowhere just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Constant progress is a ridiculous idea. When things are good you just need to maintain them and not try to improve them even more.
    Then don't condemn progress and greed with the same broad brush. There's a big difference.

Olympic Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Then don't condemn progress and greed with the same broad brush. There's a big difference.

You ignore my statement "When things are good....". Obviously things are not good in the area of human health when we have cancer and AIDS.

15 years ago nobody was dying because they didn't have a dream house or a new car every two years or 30 pairs of shoes.

Then initially did you mean to say that progress, or better still, change is okay when it improves society or the quality of life, but is not when it is only motivated by greed? If so, I would answer by saying that ideally in a capitalistic society, efforts to improve society can also lead to wealth, as in the case of Bill Gates. Anything can be carried to the extreme (wanton waste of natural resources, blind greed without compassion for others), but this is not a condemnation of the system, only of those who abuse it.

Olympic Champ

I disagree. Bill Gates is one in tens of millions and he is not a typical example at all of a person living in a capitalist system.

You have to look long term. Capitalism had its Golden years thanks to many lucky factors like WWII destruction of the world and a melting pot in America but it can't stop and now it will do much damage.

Olympic Champ

The damage will be different than under lets say a communist system. Whereas in a communist system people couldn't have all they wanted due to system restraints, in America you will have a PERMANENT restraint of Nature and people so used to greed and wealth that many will simply lose a reason to live.

I don't believe that capitalism has run it's course. While Bill Gates is an extreme example, everyone has the potential to profit from his or her initiative. As I said above, there are abuses to the system, but without incentives (financial or otherwise), people will have no reason to work hard, develop technologies, and create useful progress.

I seem to remember having a very similar discussion with you, maybe about college students, scientists, or something like that?