Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More homeowners using credit cards to pay mortgages

Olympic Champ

Default More homeowners using credit cards to pay mortgages

They won't ever admit it, but credit card cos (e.g. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Capital One, HFC, Citibank, MSNB, etc.) actively market to the vulnerable. I bet those who who are making payments with their credit cards, are still getting more offers, and are getting their credit limits automatically raised. They may even occasionally get a live check. We used to call this loan sharking or usury.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071028/...tcards_debt_dc

Olympic Champ

Default Re: More homeowners using credit cards to pay mortgages

At least they have their freedom to use their credit cards as skipster would argue. We wouldn't want to take that away from them.

Olympic Champ

No, they are free to go bankrupt, get divorced, turn to drinking, beat their kids out of frustration, and lose their house. And at the end of the day, they will still owe their soul to the company store (aka Mastercard). Freedom is a wonderful thing.

Olympic Champ

John Locke once said that children of working families should not be allowed leisure beyond age of 3. Perhaps the children should start helping out paying those credit cards.

Locke is a big authority on Western politics and economy. He intimated its their own fault when poor can't make ends meet.

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    They won't ever admit it, but credit card cos (e.g. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Capital One, HFC, Citibank, MSNB, etc.) actively market to the vulnerable. I bet those who who are making payments with their credit cards, are still getting more offers, and are getting their credit limits automatically raised. They may even occasionally get a live check. We used to call this loan sharking or usury.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071028/...tcards_debt_dc
    About to close on a house in two weeks. ... there's no way I'll ever do this.

Definitely a scary market out there right now, building in the Twin Cities really has come to a crawl.

Olympic Champ

I don't know if buying now is a smart thing to do since housing prices will be falling for the next year or two.

Paying the mortgage by credit card, as long as there is no supplementary fee, can get you ton of reward points really fast.

I'll be honest, I've never heard of a bank taking a credit card transaction for the mortgage.

I've paid tuition bills with a card, until they started charging $60-120, or percentage of the value for the privaledge.

The feds won't let housing sink much further. There is much greater risk to the economy if they do. You'll a drop in interest rates this week. Maybe another in December.

Prices here in NJ are down about 5% from the peak, not a big change, but we don't have the massive developments that AZ and NV that were sold on speculation over the past 4 years.

Housing sales will begin to rebound in the spring. No better time to buy than on the downside of the market. I was paying 173/8% on my first mortgage, but got the house at a 30% discount. Interest rates were down to 7% in 2 years, while the value of the house doubled. A whole hoist of folks will be looking to makea move come spring and it'll trigger the sell/buy domino affect.