Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Those Also Interested In The Medicalization Of Society

Hybrid View

Default For Those Also Interested In The Medicalization Of Society

The title is a bit tongue in cheek, but it is an area of genuine interest for me and folks in my field. This segment should definitely make you think about some things.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ag=mncol;lst;1
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Default Re: For Those Also Interested In The Medicalization Of Society

Two points:

1. Both critics of antidepressants (Kirsch and Brown) have severly crowded lower front teeth.
    2. Dr. Brown is from Brown University.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

But two serious points:

1. For a placebo to work, the patient must believe that he is receiving real medication, so if he has seen this story and is suspicious of his prescription, he's out of luck.
    2. Ever since 60 Minutes aired a piece legitimizing the lunatics who believe that the mercury in silver dental fillings is harmful to patients, I've had no faith in their credibility.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Two points:

1. Both critics of antidepressants (Kirsch and Brown) have severly crowded lower front teeth.
    2. Dr. Brown is from Brown University.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

But two serious points:

1. For a placebo to work, the patient must believe that he is receiving real medication, so if he has seen this story and is suspicious of his prescription, he's out of luck.
    2. Ever since 60 Minutes aired a piece legitimizing the lunatics who believe that the mercury in silver dental fillings is harmful to patients, I've had no faith in their credibility.
    Now I know why my eyes are always drawn to his teeth (and I'm not kidding)!

As for #1, that was his point throughout the segment, as well as other research that I've read on it.

Now, #2...I had a student a few years back who was about as bat poop crazy as you could get. She told me how she had every mercury filling in her mouth removed, and consequently, EVERY major ailment that she ever had instantly went away (can we say, "Placebo Effect?").

Now, I've been suspicious of the dangers of mercury fillings ever since meeting her, but I don't share the sentiment toward 60 Minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I had a student a few years back who was about as bat poop crazy as you could get. She told me how she had every mercury filling in her mouth removed, and consequently, EVERY major ailment that she ever had instantly went away (can we say, "Placebo Effect?").
    The only benefit that came from that was to send her dentist on a nice vacation.

I have heard of studies that show a placebo effect works even when the patients are told that they are being given a placebo. the theory is being in a Doctor's office having a professional to talk to about your symptoms and verbalizing how you feel to someone else actually makes people feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I have heard of studies that show a placebo effect works even when the patients are told that they are being given a placebo. the theory is being in a Doctor's office having a professional to talk to about your symptoms and verbalizing how you feel to someone else actually makes people feel better.
    I have read things similar to that, as well. It is likely why talking therapies tend to work very well with many disorders.

Kind of like combining the Hawthorne effect with the self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'd be rather pissed upon hearing my surgeon had opened me up and then closed me up w/0 doing anything . My chronic pain Dr. told me that was basically what happened in my fist surgery yet I was prepared for that as my surgeon told me he'd be surprised if my surgery lasted 6 months as had rotator cuff arthropathy with degenerative arthritis . To me , there is a helluva difference between giving someone sugar pills and cutting them open , and psychiatrists are charletans at best.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    I'd be rather pissed upon hearing my surgeon had opened me up and then closed me up w/0 doing anything.
    I thought of that, too, but the patients had to have been informed that some of them were getting treatment and some were getting placebo surgery. They probably all got free treatment for participating in the experiment.

Yes, it's always been my understanding that subjects have to be informed that placebos are used in the research.