Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas judge warns of CIVIL war.

Default Re: Texas judge warns of CIVIL war.

Haha!! Jensen, I just noticed that you purposely ended my "they spend it" quote right before I explained what they spend it on. I hope that was done jokingly. If not, I am disappointed that you would resort to intentionally taking what I said out of context. Making your house payment or paying your electric bill does not stimulate the economy and you know that.

People being out on the street or not having their electricity turned off (the consequence of not paying their mortgage or your electric) doesn't exactly stimulate the economy either.

So people having extra money to pay their mortgage or their electric bills is a bad thing now too? Good to know.

If you're going to go along with this (ridiculous) train of thought that you're on at least accuse the people of buying drugs or TV's or something.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    People being out on the street or not having their electricity turned off (the consequence of not paying their mortgage or your electric) doesn't exactly stimulate the economy either.

So people having extra money to pay their mortgage or their electric bills is a bad thing now too? Good to know.

If you're going to go along with this (ridiculous) train of thought that you're on at least accuse the people of buying drugs or TV's or something.
    Wow. You really are sold. I recieved the extra 20 bucks a paycheck and have nothing to show for it. Tell me how many people you kept employed with that extra coin. Tell me the stories of the many poor people that you know of that are living large now with that extra Hamilton in their pocket.

Fact is, whether they paid their electric bill or not, it didn't stimulate anything. Look at the results. Are we better as a nation because the family down the street held onto their house a few months longer? Ask the people getting foreclosed on if they would rather have an extra 20 or overtime. I know you're intelligent but if you keep insisting on calling me a conspiracy theorist then I will lose all respect for you. My views are not a conspiracy. They are simply a different way to get the same result we all want. I trust individuals and apparently you trust government. That's fine. I love to debate but intentionally taking what I said out of context and then calling me a conspiracy theorist only proves that you have no legitimate thought. Simply back up your theories and I will debate you and consider your ideas. My mind has been changed before. I'm sure there are sides to every debate that I haven't considered. But calling me ridiculous will ensure that I won't ever consider it. Trust me, I find your views to be comical but I have been taking them into consideration and answering your questions respectfully. You have avoided several of my points.

Don't get so touchy, I wasn't calling you a conspiracy theorist.

Simply pointing out that the general line of argument against giving low-middle income people any assistance or relief is "they'll just buy a big screen" or "they'll buy drugs."

I never thought I'd read someone attempting to make the argument that a low-middle income person or family having more money to pay their mortgage or pay their bills thereby having more disposable income (which they use on products from "job creators") is a bad thing.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Don't get so touchy, I wasn't calling you a conspiracy theorist.

Simply pointing out that the general line of argument against giving low-middle income people any assistance or relief is "they'll just buy a big screen" or "they'll buy drugs."

I never thought I'd read someone attempting to make the argument that a low-middle income person or family having more money to pay their mortgage or pay their bills thereby having more disposable income (which they use on products from "job creators") is a bad thing.
    Sorry if I over reacted. I read your Agenda 21 comment earlier and coupled it with the tv thing. My fault. I will now assume sarcasm from posts like that from you. That is stuff I find funny, too. Nothing is wrong with a stereotypical joke if its made in jest.

Now to your point. I really think you unintentionally answered your own point. You said "more DISPOSABLE income". Which was my exact point! Paying bills is not disposable income. It is needed. Rich people have the disposable income to spend and stimulate the economy. Take that away and there goes your nation's economy. Thank you for making my point for me.

The Bush tax cuts (stimulus plan) also put more money in workers' hands too, except that it was in one lump sum. If I recall correcctly, most saved that money as well and didn't spend it.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quinn, I am neither jealous of the wealthy and super wealthy, nor do I hate them. I simply do not buy into the kool aid that putting more money in their hands will stimulate the economy. It just doesn't work that way. As I said in the earlier post, the wealthy benefitted most from our economic and political system. They reaped the greatest rewards, which is fine at face value, but they also must pay more into the system. Not all became rich by lying, cheating, or theft, but they also didn't all become wealthy through simple hard work and determination. Luck plays a huge role, as does inheritance, as does having rules changed to tip the board in your favor. At any rate, I don't want all of their money, nor am I asking for a free ride. I want a sustainable economy where the largest portion of the population is sitting in the middle of the bell curve and can live in a fashion where they are not worried about how to make rent or have to choose between paying the electricity or the water. These are very real problems to very large portion of our population and you don't seem to understand or care. My guess is both.

Scuba, everyone wants a society where everyone is comfortable. I would love that, too. But the fact of life is that it will never happen. It has less of a chance of happening when you have government take from some and give to others. Utopia does not and never will exist. It is best to allow people to make their own way. They have every right to succeed or fail. Of you have a heart for those who failed then do something about it yourself.

My wife and I give 10 percent and volunteer at the local homeless shelter. Trust me, I wouldn't go back if I thought it didn't have an individual impact on them. I am proud to say that a few that we once served are now serving others. You can't solve the worlds problems through legislation. People helping people can do much more than any government tax break.

Quinn, up until the last 20 years, we did have society with the greatest proportion of the population somewhere in the middle. Now the bell curve has skewed where the greatest concentration of wealth is in the smallest percent of the population. Contrary to your non existent libertarian utopia as you put it, it is the responsibility of the government to ensure the well being of it's citizens. No that does not mean everyone needs a flat screen tv or own a house or have fancy dinners. But that also doesn't mean we should let whole families slip through the cracks. There are not enough private charities to feed, clothe, or house needy families. This is where government must step in and does step in to assist in that fashion such as with food stamps, social security, TANF, VA, job training etc. Obviously you would rather leave them out in the cold. I get it now.