Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marathon

Default Marathon

Barack Obama should have entered he's from Kenya
    "I like my antiques new " - Steve Martin

Default Re: Marathon

I'm kind of guessing, but there could be prohibitions from his Muslim faith that forbids him from running on Holy days .
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Absolute hi-jack of the thread - What do Muslim athletes do about Ramadan - certainly they don't fast during the competition?

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Absolute hi-jack of the thread - What do Muslim athletes do about Ramadan - certainly they don't fast during the competition?
    They get special dispensation to run it at night. A thread this silly cannot be hijacked.
    "I like my antiques new " - Steve Martin

Wasn't there an American basketball player who converted to the muslim faith who actually did fast during ramadan? He was the guy who created controversy by turning his back during the National Anthem. I' m almost sure he fasted.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    That much about Islam I do know, and, yes, they absolutely DO fast through athletic competition as well. The great (but brief) t.v. series, "American Muslim," had an episode devoted to that during the football season and how difficult it was/is for Muslim football players to fast during a portion of the season.

Religion is first among Muslims; second to none.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

There was an article about this posted on the international forum if someone wants to lok for it. One common response was to postpone the fast until after the Olympics, another was to reason that the Olympics were an exceptional circumstance in which they could reasonably break their fast.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Wasn't there an American basketball player who converted to the muslim faith who actually did fast during ramadan? He was the guy who created controversy by turning his back during the National Anthem. I' m almost sure he fasted.
    I remember that guy. Shareef Abdur Rahim I think.

Hakeem Olajuwon was a muslim as well and I remember he played some games during Ramadan, and was fasting. He was so awesome it didn't affect his game.

I think he even had his carpet that he prayed on at the stadium, though that I'm not completely positive about.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

The first major NBA star to fast during a NBA season was Lew Alcindor( Kareem Abdul Jabbar )-he suffered from migraines from inadequate hydration . The player who turned his back on the national anthem played for Denver . I believe he was suspended and fined ?
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.