Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You didn't build that

Default You didn't build that

Here is a pretty good article breaking down all things wrong about Obama's speech where he glorified government for success of individuals. Read the entire thing. Try to poke holes if you can. But you have to read the entire thing (only 2 pages/10-12min). Don't have a clue who this guy is, but it's a good article.

Zombie
    Last edited by quinn14; 07-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Default Re: You didn't build that

Wish I would have wrote that. There was a lot of good stuff in there that i've been saying for years, he did am excellent job. I would like to hear from someone with an opposing position

As was asked of us, we are to comment on the kid's comments in the article, which is what I'll do. Actually, I'm not commenting, as much as I'm asking some unanswered questions in his profound "analysis" that would directly affect my mother.

Because President Obama did not mention any of the other gubment services (the ones NOT highlighted), our kid, therefore, inferred that President Obama does not care about those non-highlighted services. Furthermore, our kid then inferred that President Obama believes these services to be "non-essential," and could then, therefore, be cut. (Note how many times I had to use the word "therefore" in my question, as the kid's premise was all based on inference).

Here are some non-highlighted services that (1) President Obama did not mention that (2) therefore, are not essential and (3) therefore, should be cut:

Unemployment/welfare/other mandatory spending 16.13%
    Medicare 12.79%
    Medicaid and SCHIP 8.19%
    Health and Human Services 2.22%

Here are my questions to our whizz kid: what should we do about my mom, and the millions of other nursing home patients who have no savings left from the nursing home expenses, are therefore, wards of the state/gubment, and the millions of disabled Americans living in similar institutions who are wards of the state/gubment?
    Which agencies will be responsible for euthanising these people then, as caring for them is "non-esssential," and as it stands now, they cannot afford to be kept in such facilities? Would euthanasia, then, fall under "non-essential?"

I would guess that we COULD just roll them in their wheelchairs into the streets and let them fend for themselves, find them jobs to help pay their way, trust that churches and private charities have enough to cover all of these millions of persons' expenses, or, as I said before, begin to engage the national discussion about euthanasia, as I can tell our whizz kid THIS with certainty: we have a WHOLE lot more elderly and disabled coming into our society because of an aging population, and I would guess that these folks living in the streets could become a problem for him to have to consider paying for.

And, yes, my mother is an Alzheimer's patient in a nursing home, with no savings left and a ward of the state because of this circumstance. And, yes, I am now comfortable in engaging in these conversations that my family and I have gone through for a few years now.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 07-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

These are applicants for positions within the now essential service of Department of Euthanasia.

Ban,
    As you may or may not know I am disabled . After my last surgery I was stuck in a ''rehab center '' -aka -a nursing home , where i developed MRSA,staph, and pneumonia . After 5 days I checked myself out and then was sent to ICU for 5 days followed by 2 weeks of trips to the hospital for anti-biotic drips .
    I truly am sorry for your mother's situation and for the pain it must cause you.
    As for the second part-Reagan closed down all institutions and released patients to halfway houses and gave them a monthly check . 90% of these people did not know what a check was so they hit the streets en masse and gave rise to the great homeless population .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

How did the government entites you named aid in the building of industry? That was the point of the piece. The point wa that the government does not build busisness and that businesses provide enough funding through taxation to pay for the things the government provides. Obama backed himself into this corner. So tell me how the government built a business and tell me if the tax revenue from the rich covers all of the cost to provide the needs for business how did they not build that.

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Ban,
    As you may or may not know I am disabled . After my last surgery I was stuck in a ''rehab center '' -aka -a nursing home , where i developed MRSA,staph, and pneumonia . After 5 days I checked myself out and then was sent to ICU for 5 days followed by 2 weeks of trips to the hospital for anti-biotic drips .
    I truly am sorry for your mother's situation and for the pain it must cause you.
    As for the second part-Reagan closed down all institutions and released patients to halfway houses and gave them a monthly check . 90% of these people did not know what a check was so they hit the streets en masse and gave rise to the great homeless population .
    And you are correct with all of that; I remember it too well.

That is one of many reasons why I was and am not a big fan of Reagan.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my mom. It's been a tough situation to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    How did the government entites you named aid in the building of industry? That was the point of the piece. The point wa that the government does not build busisness and that businesses provide enough funding through taxation to pay for the things the government provides. Obama backed himself into this corner. So tell me how the government built a business and tell me if the tax revenue from the rich covers all of the cost to provide the needs for business how did they not build that.
    This wasn't the pernt of the piece? If not, then I missed something BIG:

"When Obama implied at the Roanoke, Virginia rally that some businessmen refuse to pay for public works from which they benefit, he presented a thesis which, like a three-legged stool, relies on three assumptions that must all be true for the argument to remain standing:

1. That the public programs he mentioned in his speech constitute a significant portion of the federal budget;
    2. That business owners don’t already pay far more than their fair share of these expenses; and
    3. That these specific public benefits are a federal issue, rather than a local issue.

If any of these legs fails, then the whole argument collapses.
    For good measure, we won’t just kick out one, we’ll kick out all three."

For one, could we say that most of those gubment agencies aidied in building the health care industry? Health care would be a bit tough in this country without gubment involvement, whether it be through regulations, requiring of credentials of health care providers, funding, funding for medical research, granting of them non-profit status, and the VA hospitals and clinics.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 07-21-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    This wasn't the pernt of the piece? If not, then I missed something BIG:

"When Obama implied at the Roanoke, Virginia rally that some businessmen refuse to pay for public works from which they benefit, he presented a thesis which, like a three-legged stool, relies on three assumptions that must all be true for the argument to remain standing:

1. That the public programs he mentioned in his speech constitute a significant portion of the federal budget;
    2. That business owners don’t already pay far more than their fair share of these expenses; and
    3. That these specific public benefits are a federal issue, rather than a local issue.

If any of these legs fails, then the whole argument collapses.
    For good measure, we won’t just kick out one, we’ll kick out all three."

For one, could we say that most of those gubment agencies aidied in building the health care industry? Health care would be a bit tough in this country without gubment involvement, whether it be through regulations, requiring of credentials of health care providers, funding, funding for medical research, granting of them non-profit status, and the VA hospitals and clinics.
    Again that has nothing to do with the article. I can see that you dont have the ability to pick apart the actual argument he is presenting so you are trying to grasp at straws and present a false argument. If he had said anything about health care I guess you might have a point but he didn't. So you will eventually I assume bring up a counter to the actual point of the piece.