Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You didn't build that

Default Re: You didn't build that

How in the heck did this turn to something about healthcare? Obama said that government is responsible for business not the business owner/entrepreneur. If he meant anything about healthcare, he would have said so. He didn't. The article didn't mention it either. From Ugly's copied post of Ban, I can see he's back to the really "cool" misspellings and also trying to spin this into a debate about something else because he can't defend the actual comments. Just like the administration wanting a global minimum tax. These are facts Ban can't admit to and so the spin doctor comes out.

Does any other person have any ways of shooting holes in this article? And can someone please answer this one question. If government built roads are what makes businesses successful, why can I drive down the same road and see some succeeding and some closing down? Shouldn't they all be successful since there is a road?

1. The author: "So what Obama and Warren are really stating is this:
    Only one-fourth of your federal tax dollars go to projects and programs that benefit the general public and entrepreneurs; the other three-fourths are essentially a complete waste, or are at best optional.
    Which of course is exactly what fiscal conservatives have been arguing all along.
    So yeah, I agree with Obama: Let’s slash the federal budget by 75%, and only fund services and programs that directly serve the public good."

I then asked the author some questions about these "complete wastes" or "optional" gubment programs and how then we would get by without some of these gubment agencies.

Is that not correct?

2. Ugly: "So tell me how the government built a business..."

I then provided an example of how the gubment has played a significant role in building the "bidnesss" of health care, as an industry (I would say that the agricultural industry is even more pronounced in how gubment has built, in part, modern agriculture).

Can you now follow what I was saying?
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    How in the heck did this turn to something about healthcare? Obama said that government is responsible for business not the business owner/entrepreneur.

Does any other person have any ways of shooting holes in this article? And can someone please answer this one question. If government built roads are what makes businesses successful, why can I drive down the same road and see some succeeding and some closing down? Shouldn't they all be successful since there is a road?
    Did our President say that it was ONLY gubment services that have made bidnesses successful? Where did you hear him say that?

Are these not our President's words in the same speech: "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."? (emphasis mine).

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    1. The author: "So what Obama and Warren are really stating is this:
    Only one-fourth of your federal tax dollars go to projects and programs that benefit the general public and entrepreneurs; the other three-fourths are essentially a complete waste, or are at best optional.
    Which of course is exactly what fiscal conservatives have been arguing all along.
    So yeah, I agree with Obama: Let’s slash the federal budget by 75%, and only fund services and programs that directly serve the public good."

I then asked the author some questions about these "complete wastes" or "optional" gubment programs and how then we would get by without some of these gubment agencies.

Is that not correct?

2. Ugly: "So tell me how the government built a business..."

I then provided an example of how the gubment has played a significant role in building the "bidnesss" of health care, as an industry (I would say that the agricultural industry is even more pronounced in how gubment has built, in part, modern agriculture).

Can you now follow what I was saying?
    You have provided nothing of substance, you threw out an emotional argument in order to back me into a corner, saying I dont care about the sick and dying. The fact is that if the government did not subsidise farms they would be better off and we would be better off because the gov. only really subsidizes crops that aren't very good for you. The business of growing food would exist no matter what, it doesn't need government, and guess what most farmers built their own roads.

Again health care IMO would be better off without the gov. interfering in it. Their have always been Dr's and nurses and they used to make house calls and people could afford them. It seems to me when the government gets involved in things the cost seems to go up and people have less access to care. Also IMO it is not the job of the gov. to support patients, it should be up to the family if the individual has family, you know like it used to be.

The programs you site aren't good programs to begin with because they hemorrhage money they are not sustainable. Also the gov. didn't build insurance companies or hospitals.

Obama is disingenuous in his remarks and does not realize that, the programs that he says built business are actually paid for by those businesses, so the gov. built nothing.

I do agree that we could slash gov. spending by 75% and be better off. Not just by cutting programs that aren't useful but by scaling down all dept.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Also IMO it is not the job of the gov. to support patients, it should be up to the family if the individual has family, you know like it used to be.
    Nothing truer has been said. Although people don't like to hear that and will give you a bunch of excuses why they can't help the very family members who sacrificed everything to raise them. There is always an excuse not to help the elderly from the same people who also don't help the homeless. They just want the rich to be taxed so their problem goes away. It's sad, but it's the new "progressive" America. Pure selfishness.

But, back to the point of the article. How has government built businesses? Why aren't all businesses successful if Obama's statements are true? Why does he cite local taxation of things as if the federal government is what he's talking about? Does he even understand America? Do the people clapping understand America and how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    You have provided nothing of substance, you threw out an emotional argument in order to back me into a corner, saying I dont care about the sick and dying. The fact is that if the government did not subsidise farms they would be better off and we would be better off because the gov. only really subsidizes crops that aren't very good for you. The business of growing food would exist no matter what, it doesn't need government, and guess what most farmers built their own roads.

Again health care IMO would be better off without the gov. interfering in it. Their have always been Dr's and nurses and they used to make house calls and people could afford them. It seems to me when the government gets involved in things the cost seems to go up and people have less access to care. Also IMO it is not the job of the gov. to support patients, it should be up to the family if the individual has family, you know like it used to be.

The programs you site aren't good programs to begin with because they hemorrhage money they are not sustainable. Also the gov. didn't build insurance companies or hospitals.

Obama is disingenuous in his remarks and does not realize that, the programs that he says built business are actually paid for by those businesses, so the gov. built nothing.

I do agree that we could slash gov. spending by 75% and be better off. Not just by cutting programs that aren't useful but by scaling down all dept.
    Ok...yowza!

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post

But, back to the point of the article. How has government built businesses? Why aren't all businesses successful if Obama's statements are true?
    Because of this: "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

You keep forgetting that incenvenerient phrase, "Individual initiative."

If you need elaboration of what that means, give me a holler!
    Last edited by ban basketball; 07-21-2012 at 09:57 PM.