Thread: Dronology ??

Default Dronology ??

Dronology: America’s flying eye pries on its own people

Get short URL
    email story to a friend print version
    Published: 20 January, 2012, 10:30

AFP Photo / US Air Force
    (31.3Mb) embed video

TAGS: Conflict, Military, Scandal, SciTech, Politics, Human rights, Law, Vehicles, USA, Marina Dzhashi, Marina Portnaya, Police, Planes

A staple of Washington’s war missions, targeted assassinations and spying operations overseas, unmanned aerial vehicles, known as drones, are now being used by US police in the domestic arena, stirring up privacy concerns among Americans.
    According to John Whitehead, a constitutional attorney from the Rutherford Institute, US police departments have been authorized to use drones extensively in pursuit of their duties on home soil.

“There have been, I think, almost 266 applications that have been approved for police departments to use drones as aerial surveillance devices,” he said.

Drones can be armed with a wide range of surveillance technology, including high-powered zoom lenses and infrared and ultraviolet imaging.

As the US government flies prying eyes through the sky, lawmakers have neglected to create any privacy protections for American citizens.
    “All of this is conscious and intentional,” said author and columnist Paul Craig Roberts. “They are putting in place a method of controlling a population that may be unemployed, hungry or very angry and I think the state and local police are not just militarized, but they are being federalized.”

According to trends forecaster Gerald Celente, the United States is gradually turning into one big Homeland Security enterprise.

“What happens now is that the agencies keep using more and more of these to justify their existence,” Celente told RT. “Then they say, we need this to crack down on drugs, we need these because there are a lot of robberies in this neighborhood.”

“The United States is not only now a military industrial complex. It is a Homeland Security complex. They have merged into one,” he added.

In 2006, AeroVironment, a drone manufacturer, received $ 4.7 million from the US defense department to develop new unmanned aerial vehicles. The newest and smallest invention is Hummingbird, a palm-sized, cute looking spy plane weighing less than one pound.

“There can be a very lucrative market in the United States for drones in police departments who are already militarized – from tanks to assault vehicles to assault rifles, flap jackets, the helmets,” John Whitehead said. “The modern police look like the military so now they are going to be using military equipment.”

A fresh lawsuit has been launched against the US Department of Transportation for allegedly withholding records pertaining to the domestic use of drones. Currently, the American public cannot find out why drones are being used or who is controlling them.
    “On every corner, there is a closed circuit camera watching what you are doing, so now we do not only have them on the ground, we have them from the air,” Gerald Celente said.

In January the Federal Aviation Administration is expected to propose new rules making it easier for law enforcement agencies to fly drones through America's democratic sky. War weapons used overseas to keep the US safe are now being considered a serious threat, compromising cherished freedoms at home.

I wonder how much C-4 /Symtex a Drone can carry ? And how long before these things are loaded and used as weapons ? Remember , 20 years ago police could not carry military weapons .
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Default Re: Dronology ??

I've been reading a lot about this stuff lately. It's getting so ridiculous in this country that all you can do is laugh. Honestly, it's like our government is reading Orwell and thinking it's a training manual or something. But, hey, I'm sure there are many people who say that it's no big deal.

With the signing of that bill that allows Obama to indefinitely detain American citizens without even a charge and this summer expected to be filled with protests in the streets, I wonder how many drone pictures are going to be taken and identified so that the president can keep people in line?

Q,
    We are on camera virtually all the time , I''ve come to accept that, yet i've never envisioned an ATM attacking me .After all the intel has been gathered on a ''subversive'' group what is to stop some a-hole at the pentagon from strapping a kilo of C-4 and eliminating the target ?
    Who cleans up these scenes ? I'd guess the ATF and i'm sure the official report would not mention a Drone . The official version of the ruby Ridge stand off was Weaver opened fire.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Check this out. The UK has just banned a self defense expert from entering the country and teaching how to protect yourself from rioters. Next thing you know, the drones will be keeping an eye out for anyone entering a martial arts facility.

BBC News - US self-defence expert banned from entering UK