Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Thought Provoking Film

Default Re: A Thought Provoking Film

Not since I threw the frigging thing away 2 years ago.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    If your printer quit working then I strongly suggest you watch the film. It will show you how to fix it.
    I found an easy fix for mine using a credit card - I bought a new one. I'm not disappointed because the new one performs much better than the old and was less than $200.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Apparently there is a chip inside the printers that counts the number of prints. Once you hit that number it shuts the thing down whether it's bad or not. The film shows a guy searching relentlessly to find a way to fix it. He finds a Russian website where he can download something that resets the counter in the chip. The printer starts working just fine after it's reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I found an easy fix for mine using a credit card - I bought a new one. I'm not disappointed because the new one performs much better than the old and was less than $200.
    Your post is pretty ironic; that is basically the gist of them film: products are designed (and programmed) to not last very long so that we have to replace them.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Walmart is running an HP all in one for $29 with a 1 year warranty -at 2.75 a month i don't mind the planned obs so much. same with a $10.00 Timex . But when you buy a Plasma (as my brother did ) and 3 days after the warranty the dam thing's remote sensor goes out a man gets a little pissed.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

Ask the people in Ghana if planned obsolescence is no big deal because of the cheap price. When you are the world's dumping ground I don't think a sale at Walmart justifies HP or Apple's decisions to make you buy a new "thing" every year.

china is in the same shape . i wish i could get more excited about this subject but we've been dumping Medical waste in the oceans for decades , supposedly ''safely'' storing nuclear waste when in actuality truckers just dump it or shallowly bury it in 50 gallon drums .
    When WASTE MANAGEMENT firms get fined it is usually about 5% of what they earn -so why should they comply with anything ?

I agree. I am no environmentalist but plain common sense will tell you to recycle whenever possible and put garbage where it belongs. The problem is that we just don't have enough room to put all the garbage. Making sure people have to buy something new every year just makes the problem worse. But, on the flip side, if we don't have to buy something new every year then people lose jobs. It's a tricky cycle and I certainly don't have the answers. But I am pretty sure that dumping our garbage at the feet of third world countries is not the answer.

Good Earth Power has patented technology that could turn garbage into energy. They are doing this in Nigeria. They are going to supply multiple new communities with sustainable infrastructure. They will have powerplants that will use zero carbon. It converts garbage to hydrogen to electricity. They will also have telecommunications that are under their own control. The fuel will be biodiesel instead of gasoline. Its insane, but they will leapfrog Western society because they do not have political lobbyists to prevent it.
    They have a garbage picker machine that separates metals and plastics. Soon, all of those garbage piles will be gone. They will find that as much as they use up, they create energy. I am happy to be involved with this project.
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal