Thread: Why did Humans become weaker through evolution.

Default Why did Humans become weaker through evolution.

I was wondering this at the zoo the other day. If we did evolve we went from a very vulnerable creature into a very sturdy ape like creature and then back to a very vulnerable creature. Was there a reason we could not have developed our intellect and still kept the strength of apes and their dexterity in the feet. Why didn't we keep the fur, the ability to keep warm without clothing. Was there a choice, we came to a fork in a road and it said choose left and you lose all of your survival gear and become a weak a frail creature that is super smart or choose right and stay an ape. There wasn't a middle option.

Think about this, at some point in human evolution our young would have been born able to walk or run and had instincts that could keep it alive if the parents were gone barring a predator eating it. Now if we left a baby overnight after it was born it might not survive because it is solely dependent on the parents for everything. Also everything on the planet seems to have the ability to kill us, its almost as if we survived on dumb luck. Even as adults we are frail in comparison to virtually every other life form out their.

Now that we have evolved into these superior intellectual beings we aren't even good at that. Look at how we have a need to do everything to excess. Other animals dont generally kill of their entire food supply or attempt to drain the water supply as quickly as possible. Other animals also have means of thinning the heard and not by natural causes. We wreck entire ecosystems by introducing new species of all kids to them.

Default Re: Why did Humans become weaker through evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    There wasn't a middle option.
    There certainly was a middle option, it just didn't work as well.

Think about this, at some point in human evolution our young would have been born able to walk or run and had instincts that could keep it alive if the parents were gone barring a predator eating it. Now if we left a baby overnight after it was born it might not survive because it is solely dependent on the parents for everything.
    It's an evolutionary trade off, the more young produced the less care the parents can provide and the less likely they are to survive to reproductive age. Fewer offspring leads to more care from the parents which increases the likelyhood of surviving. Having totally dependent babies seems to be working pretty well for humans.

Also everything on the planet seems to have the ability to kill us, its almost as if we survived on dumb luck. Even as adults we are frail in comparison to virtually every other life form out their.
    We could literally crush the vast, vast majority of life forms on the planet. There are relatively very few life forms that could kill us and even fewer that we can't kill.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Flogging without weapons we cant really kill any of the animals that would be our preditor, like say a lion. We also dont seem to have any immunities to poisons..

When you say that there was a middle option and it didnt work as well, how doyou know. Is there proof that being an ape with all of its abilites coupled with our current intellect would have been a bad thing for the species. I would say that after a certain point we physicaly devolved, I dont understand the need for a trade off.

Now where we have succeded is in the ability to adapt to any type of enviroment and manipulate the circumstaces to our needs with our enginuity, which is impressive

Flogging without weapons we cant really kill any of the animals that would be our preditor, like say a lion.
    What we couldn't do without weapons is irrelevant since we have weapons. A lion probably couldn't do much without teeth and claws.

We also dont seem to have any immunities to poisons.
    Technically, you're right. I'm not aware of any substance that isn't toxic to humans if the dose is high enough (even water and oxygen are toxic), but I'm also not aware of any substance that isn't toxic to every creature if the dose is high enough.

I think most people's perception of 'poisons' is pretty people centric in that we consider things poisonous if they're toxic to humans at a relatively low dose. So not having immunities to poisons is a self fulfulling prophecy since we only consider things poison if we aren't immune to it. There are lots of things that humans can consume in large quantities that other animals can't (for example, a human can eat way more chocolate than a dog without getting sick).

When you say that there was a middle option and it didnt work as well, how doyou know. Is there proof that being an ape with all of its abilites coupled with our current intellect would have been a bad thing for the species.
    Yes there is proof. The proof is that apes with all of their abilities coupled with our current intellect don't exist.

You left out the "gene-splicing" option & effect.....

Flogging my point is that we became physically weaker over time and not stronger. The lion grows teeth natually we lack any type of physical natural ability to feed ourselves, unless we were to only eat fruits and veggies. We are a physicaly weak species in my mind and it amazes me that we are so weak.

Also I know I am not a scientist but the fact that something doesnt exist doesnt seem to me to be proof that it would not have been better than what does. maybe nature just missed.

Flogging my point is that we became physically weaker over time and not stronger.
    This is true, though it's also true for most species.

The lion grows teeth natually we lack any type of physical natural ability to feed ourselves, unless we were to only eat fruits and veggies. We are a physicaly weak species in my mind and it amazes me that we are so weak.
    If we didn't have any physical natural ability to feed ourselves, wouldn't we have died out a long long time ago?

When you say we're a weak species do you mean in the absolute or relative sense? In terms of absolute strength we're stronger than the vast, vast majority of species. In terms of relative strength I have no idea.

Also I know I am not a scientist but the fact that something doesnt exist doesnt seem to me to be proof that it would not have been better than what does. maybe nature just missed.
    Except that we evolved from whatever primative ancestor so gradually and over such a long period of time that the chances that the chances of nature just missing would be incalcuably small. I mean we're talking about millions of generations of offspring with varying degrees of intelligence and strength and over those millions of years the smart weak ones survived better than the smart strong ones, must be something to it.

I think we shoulda stuck with the toe thumbs. I'll bet some liberal got offended because he was born without a toe thumb and therefore had to ruin it for everyone through apeman legislation.