Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish people, an interesting bunch

Olympic Champ

Default Amish people, an interesting bunch

These are descendants of Swiss-German Mennonites and earlier of Anabaptists. They are basically religious communists. When they abolished private property in Europe and wanted to take control of a certtain area, Christians and Catholics attacked them and killed off their leaders. Ever since then they have nothing to do with the government and capitalism.

At least one group of people wants to have nothing to do with so-called "Natural feeling" of accumulation of wealth.
    Last edited by Big; 10-17-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Default Re: Amish people, an interesting bunch

The Amish areas of NorthEast Ohio have produced some excellent high school folkstyle wrestling.

National Finalist

Christians and Catholics attacked them and killed off their leaders. Ever since then they have nothing to do with the government and capitalism.

Better described as "church/state religion leaders". Catholics were church/state and so were Protestants. They persecuted all the anabaptist types.

Quote Originally Posted by ctc View Post
    Christians and Catholics attacked them and killed off their leaders. Ever since then they have nothing to do with the government and capitalism.

Better described as "church/state religion leaders". Catholics were church/state and so were Protestants. They persecuted all the anabaptist types.

An area I will agree with my friend here, but will also disagree. Luther, Calvin and others who also upheld the martyrdom of Anabaptists were also those strongly respected within certain sectors of the religious community.

It wasn't just the Amish though, but the Anabaptists as a whole. There is a great movie from NetFlix and others called The Reformers that gives a good Anabaptist history. Also the books Foxes Book of Martyrs and Martyrs Mirror detail much of the killings of early Anabaptists.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

---------------------------

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

I must say that I have learned more about the Amish/Mennonite Culture since living in Lancaster, PA. Also the fact that my roommate was raised Mennonite.

Big maybe you should try debating your issue with someone who is of this religion...
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by fanforlife View Post
    I must say that I have learned more about the Amish/Mennonite Culture since living in Lancaster, PA. Also the fact that my roommate was raised Mennonite.

Big maybe you should try debating your issue with someone who is of this religion...
    ...although you may have difficulty finding the Amish homepage and message board.

Very true... I can drive about 5-10 minutes from my house and be in the middle of Amish country though...
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

What do you call an Amish man with his arm up a horse's behind?

A mechanic.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

He said something was wrong with the Emergency Brake though.