Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History lesson: Pre-Bush US vs. Iraq

Default History lesson: Pre-Bush US vs. Iraq

"Saddam will strike again at his neighbors. He will make war on his own people.

And mark my words, he will develop weapons of mass destruction. He will deploy them, and he will use them.

Because we're acting today, it is less likely that we will face these dangers in the future."

an excerpt from Bill Clinton's speech from December 1998.

read the rest...I'm sure some of us need to take a look back to 1998 to see how we got to where we are today.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stori...s/clinton.html

This isn't Bush's war....it's our war.

Some of you may sleep better at night by blaming this mess on Bush, but there is a lot of blame to go around.

Olympic Champ

Default Re: History lesson: Pre-Bush US vs. Iraq

It's easy to post quotes out of context. You can offer them as proof of anything--anything at all.

Clinton didn't lead us into a war against Iraq. But vested interests have an interest in deflecting attention from the real issues--and the history.

I didn't just post a quote. I posted the link to the entire speech and asked you to read it.

If you do read the speech, you will see nothing is "out of context".

Please read it all and comment again.

Feel free address George Tenet's role in these matters as well.

Olympic Champ

Yes, it is out of context in situation and time. But, I don't expect you to understand, for you seem to want to reduce complex matters of power and war to the simple idea that we "just hate Bush".

Oh yeah, and the CIA made him do it. I think I'll try that argument the next time I make a bad decision at work.
    Last edited by matclone; 10-09-2007 at 01:21 PM.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a fantastic book about the history of the CIA, here is a link: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Ashes-History-Tim-Weiner/dp/038551445X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7574077-9460005?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191957619&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA: Tim Weiner: Books[/ame]

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book, and I've been continually amazed at how wrong the CIA has been about nearly everything from Day One. It's actually a bit depressing for a person like me, who is a strong believer in an aggressive foreign policy. If you don't have good information to go on, then it's not such a great idea to be aggressive.

Regardless, if you don't mind 500-page books, give it a shot, because it's full of anecdotes and very well written.

Olympic Champ

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book, and I've been continually amazed at how wrong the CIA has been about nearly everything from Day One. It's actually a bit depressing for a person like me, who is a strong believer in an aggressive foreign policy. If you don't have good information to go on, then it's not such a great idea to be aggressive.

Capitalists have always been the stupidest people on this Earth when it comes to foreign policies. Americans should stick to making sneakers and McDonalds burgers. They are very good at those.

That one hurt. Did you come up with that all by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post

Capitalists have always been the stupidest people on this Earth when it comes to foreign policies. Americans should stick to making sneakers and McDonalds burgers. They are very good at those.
    Dude, you are out of control, and you're turning into a caricature. Regardless of all of the faults of the US, it's still by far the greatest country on earth. No system is perfect.

Olympic Champ

Regardless of all of the faults of the US, it's still by far the greatest country on earth.

So was Nazi Germany in Europe. America should stick to its own country, its own resources and not bother any other country unless that country wants some relationship.