Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Greatest wrestler of all time from your state?

Default Re: Greatest wrestler of all time from your state?

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Back on topic I'll take a shot at some some of the New England States:

Mass: Ken Mallory -fist D3 wrestler to win a DI title, Rodney Smith 2X Greco Olympian, 1992 Broonze medalsit

NH: Eric Bradley - 2X DI AA

VT: Hamlin - DI national runnerup, no one else is even close

Maine: Deanna Rix
    The argument could be made (if you throw out college credentials) that Fred Smerlas was the best to ever come out of MA and Bradley's teammate Matt Smith was the best ever out of NH.

And didn't Vermont send a kid to the dapper dan back in the late 90's or so? Something Forest or Forest Somethingorother?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Well since this was posted in the college section, I assumed we were looking for greatest wrestler instead of just best HS career. Now that it is in the Politics and Religion section I guess we can choose anyone and feel free to insult other's choices.

Smerlas definitely had the most stories about his domninance, but because he never wrestled in college and as far as I know never faced top heavyweights from other states it is hard to truly rank him as the best ever.

I remeber both Bradley and Smith won national HS championships and then both went to Penn State. Smith struggle to make the lineup and then did not make grades while Bradley went on to be 2x AA.

Steve Forrest did go to the Dapper Dan and lost to Greg Jones. I don't know if he went to college but now he is the #2 Greco guy wrestling for the USMC

Quote Originally Posted by leglace View Post
    Any chance of sending this one back to the wrestling forums? It seems to have been put into the political forum in haste.
    Okay, if we are including disappointment too, the Campbell fits. He was seeded No. 1 as a frosh and was upset in the first round. Back then, you only advanced if the individual you lost to advanced. His opponent didn't, so he was out as a freshman. Still, he made three finals and captured 2 titles. Hahn had a stellar HS career, but you have to remember Campbell's mom (Jehovah Witness) would not allow him to wrestle, ergo, the nominal number of career wins - -all in his senior year. Now how many get recruited by Iowa and start as a Hawkeye frosh after a single HS year? International career is not even a discussion.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    I remeber both Bradley and Smith won national HS championships and then both went to Penn State. Smith struggle to make the lineup and then did not make grades while Bradley went on to be 2x AA.
    I thought Bradley skipped the NHSCA nationals to go to the Dapper Dan instead, did he win another national title? I'm going from memory but I thought Smith was only at Penn State for a year, where he redshirted, and was neck and neck with another AA-caliber kid, but then left due to grades.

I don't think there is a question that Bradley wins 'best college wrestler ever from NH' but Smith might have been a better wrestler.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    I thought Bradley skipped the NHSCA nationals to go to the Dapper Dan instead, did he win another national title? I'm going from memory but I thought Smith was only at Penn State for a year, where he redshirted, and was neck and neck with another AA-caliber kid, but then left due to grades.

I don't think there is a question that Bradley wins 'best college wrestler ever from NH' but Smith might have been a better wrestler.
    I am not sure about Bradley in HS nationals, I did a little search yesterday and did not find anything.

Not only did he beat Luke Smith (who wrestled for CMU) is the HS national finals, after his RS year he was in and out of the PSU lineup switching spots with another Smith (I think Adam Smith)

So I'll change my vote to Matt Smith for NH's best, just so we can have another Smith as the a state's best wrestler. Add to that Dan Smith from RI, who as the first ever 4X New England champ, could be RI's best wrestler (I don't think he did anyhting in college).

So I get MA, RI, NH, and OK who all have Smith as their best wrestler.

Since it's been moved to P&R maybe we should ask about the greatest Republican or Jewish wrestler of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    Since it's been moved to P&R maybe we should ask about the greatest Republican or Jewish wrestler of all time?
    I nominate Jim Jordan for greatest republican. 4x HS state champ with only 1 HS loss. 2x NCAA champ. Now a congressman from Ohio.