Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wisconsin Republicans overcome recall vote

Default Re: Wisconsin Republicans overcome recall vote

KR and Quinn, you are making my point exactly. This issue was about getting into a political fight that has everything to do with the union and you both go off on tangents on the problems of unions. BTW, I have mixed feelings about unions, never have belong to a union and agree with almost all of both of your points.

How could you argue that it does not make sense for a union to fight the move to take away collective bargaining?
    Without that, a union is a pretty useless entity, so they are essentailly fighting for their existance.

BTW, I did a quick search and I saw the amount spent was reported a $40 million totoal by both sides. It made it sound like there were equal amount of dollars for and against the unions.

Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    How could you argue that it does not make sense for a union to fight the move to take away collective bargaining?
    Without that, a union is a pretty useless entity, so they are essentailly fighting for their existance.
    I couldn't find exactly what collective bargaining rights they were trying to take away in Wisconsin. All I could find was that they were going to "curb" them. I am pretty sure in Ohio they are still allowed to bargain for wages and hours. The things they can't bargain with are pensions, healtcare costs and they want the public employees to go to a merit based system instead of just a seniority based system. I see nothing wrong with that b/c just like you saw in the last WI election, unions will shovel in millions of dollars to get certain people elected who agree with them. Basically that means they have just voted their union in and the public has to pay extraordinary pensions for public employees when they can't afford it. They need to switch to 401k's so that the tax payer isn't on the hook for a public employee's salary for the rest of their lives. Pensions are a ponzi scheme as seen in Europe.

BTW, I did a quick search and I saw the amount spent was reported a $40 million totoal by both sides. It made it sound like there were equal amount of dollars for and against the unions.
    Like I said, I heard it on a radio station and didn't get all the details. But I did a quick search, too and this is what I found. It was the first thing to pop up.

John Fund: Unions Spent $35 Million to Defeat Wisconsin Gov. Walker

Exerpt:
    ?It was astonishing to see labor unions spend $35 million of their members? dues money to beat back Scott Walker?s labor reforms.

ODH I see your point as to why the union spent what it spent, they are a special interest and they wanted their interest's to be supported. I dont think that you would deny that Unions in many occasions have continued to push for greater pay and pensions which is their job but even in the face of economic hardship that bankrupts the employer in this case the state.

I should disclose that I recently went to work for the rail road in a union job, I dont like the union. I dont like the way the people come to work and complain about having to work and really they are only productive for about 2hrs a day. The joke at work is the hardest part is showing up and taking your eight hour break.

I will say this for the unions that represent the rail road workers and the rail road, they seem to work together. We have a pension but not a 90 grand a year pension. It is basically what social security should be, you pay in 12% a pay check and you receive a monthly allotment for life. The rail road does not spend the money on anything but retirement and so it is flush with cash and if we all stopped paying today it could go on for 100 years at current levels. That seems to be a good deal for both sides IMO, workers pay in they get back in a reasonable amount.