Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The FOOD POLICE are in LOS ANGELES

Default Re: The FOOD POLICE are in LOS ANGELES

Think you live in a country where the government is free from corporate interests that use the law to persecute other businesses? You don't...

In my opinion, there is no question that the government is out of control and too deeply involved in our lives. But, that's what happens when the majority of the people in the country are happy with big government. Cut taxes, lower spending, starve the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by kr1963 View Post
    I had both on my FB page the day those both happened. I don't own a gun but it makes me want to go get one...:P
    I have never actually known anyone who didn't own a gun. Not saying I'm for killing people but I've never really know anyone who didn't hunt.

I wasn't going to do this but, this just happened last night and I'm still worked up. My wife and I and 12 others went kayaking yesterday in Whitewater River in Brookville Indiana. It is legal to drink on the river. My bro-in-law smokes some "funny" cigarettes, however. We were paddling along maybe mile 8 into the trip and these plain clothed people start screaming to pull over. They were yelling that if we didn't pull over we were going to jail.

I thought they were yelling for my bro-in-law and noticed that he was pointing at me and 2 others (in a 2-man yak). I knew we weren't doing anything so we pulled over. Dude struts up to me screaming in my face. I asked why was I pulled over. HE SAID HE DIDN'T HAVE TO TELL ME WHY!! I said he most certainly did and then I was grabbed by three other people (one on each arm and one behind) and they were telling me to get on the ground. The ground was rocky and probably had broken glass. They all THREE started trying to footsweep me to the ground (is that what cops are taught?). Well, I've wrestled for 30yrs and have a black belt in judo so the leg sweep wasn't happening. (My buddy told me that I said to them they would have a better chance shitting in front of themselves then taking me down. I don't remember saying it).

So I told them to just cuff me. They did. I asked why I was cuffed. Dude said b/c I got loud. I explained that when you yell at someone you get yelled back at. Anyway, after about 1hr in jail I finally got someone to open the door. I asked why I was in jail. Here is the EXACT exchange:

Jailer: "I think you know why you're here"
    Me: "I honestly don't. I was never told why and never even read my rights"
    Jailer: "This ain't tv, we don't have to do that stuff"

A few hours later when they finally decided to process me, there was no ticket. One dude said I was arrested for Public Intox and Disorderly Conduct. I asked what I did for disorderly charge. Thats when they noticed I had NO CHARGE. NO TICKET WAS WRITTEN FOR ME. So I asked why I was arrested for Public intox. They didn't have a reading on me because they never took one. They gave me one then and I blew a 0.00. Dude asked other dude if this was right and he said, "He blew triple 0's, you gotta let him go."

Still cost me 105 bucks! I will pay a thousand to get this off my record. All they want is your money. They expect people to just pay and not ask why. It's really getting out of hand.

)(*&$(*@&(*@%

This probably will be a waste of time but I'll give it a try.

1. Miranda isn't required when arrested. That's television.

2. Per your own statement you don't remember saying something so perhaps you don't remember being told you were arrested for public intox.

3. I don't know about your state but in California we can arrest for public intox and release later without charges after detox'ing. Perhaps some people would prefer being charged. I don't care either way.

4. I've never understood people arrested for public intox feeling there is a need for some sort of chemical test to determine their blood alcohol content. I do realize some states operate this way, but it seems asinine. I know this wasn't CA but just to put this in context...a person can be arrested whenever they have consumed alcohol to the extent they are a danger to themselves or to others (or gravely disabled). There is no field sobriety test nor chemical test, it's based merely on objective symptoms and conduct. A person acting like an ass after one glass of red wine is as good to go as a person who drank a fifth of Jack wanting to fight a parking meter.

Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    This probably will be a waste of time but I'll give it a try.

1. Miranda isn't required when arrested. That's television.

2. Per your own statement you don't remember saying something so perhaps you don't remember being told you were arrested for public intox.

3. I don't know about your state but in California we can arrest for public intox and release later without charges after detox'ing. Perhaps some people would prefer being charged. I don't care either way.

4. I've never understood people arrested for public intox feeling there is a need for some sort of chemical test to determine their blood alcohol content. I do realize some states operate this way, but it seems asinine. I know this wasn't CA but just to put this in context...a person can be arrested whenever they have consumed alcohol to the extent they are a danger to themselves or to others (or gravely disabled). There is no field sobriety test nor chemical test, it's based merely on objective symptoms and conduct. A person acting like an ass after one glass of red wine is as good to go as a person who drank a fifth of Jack wanting to fight a parking meter.

Hope this helped.
    Well that is basically what my sister's husband said. He's a Cincinnati cop. He said they could arrest people without reading them their rights, but they should have to tell me why I was arrested. There was never a ticket filled out for me. No arresting officer. Nothing. And I blew 0.00 on the test so the public intox is a joke.

No arresting officer, nothing on a intox test, no ticket. I ain't poopin' ya. I will be calling a lawyer tomorrow because I am not getting this put on my permanent record when they don't even have a record of it theirselves. But, like my bro-in-law(the cop, not the one with weed) said, they will come up with something.
    Last edited by quinn14; 08-07-2011 at 08:01 PM.

I believe you. I'm not familiar with the laws in your state but many states share similar statues. In regard to your last paragraph I refer you back to my points 3 (detox only, no charges hence no "ticket") and 4 (Ca has no statutory blood alcohol limit for public intox therefore no chemical test is necessary--some state apparently do so yours may be one).

Quote Originally Posted by pm01 View Post
    I believe you. I'm not familiar with the laws in your state but many states share similar statues. In regard to your last paragraph I refer you back to my points 3 (detox only, no charges hence no "ticket") and 4 (Ca has no statutory blood alcohol limit for public intox therefore no chemical test is necessary--some state apparently do so yours may be one).
    So are you saying that there is a chance I won't be charged for the public intox? I don't know what the law on that is in Indiana but here in Ohio they do give tickets for that. While I was getting fingerprinted they had another guy come in for public intox and they gave him the test first thing. He passed that and the sobriety field test so they hit him with no license on his kayak. But they didn't get him for the intoxication charge. Like I said, I am going to talk to a lawyer to see what to do, but I'm afraid that my bro-in-law may be right and that a ticket will suddenly appear.

Do you know if they have to give me a copy of the ticket before I leave because I do have a court date. I always thought they had to, but I also thought they had to read me my rights and tell me why I was arrested, too.
    Last edited by quinn14; 08-08-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Good morning Quinn,

It's really dangerous for me to guess because I don't know Ohio law. I was merely trying to make a few general comments to help possibly explain some of the thongs that frustrated you. Beyond that I am no expert because it happened in Ohio.

If you didnt rcv a notice to appear in court at discharge then I believe that plays in your favor it was a hold only for detox with no prosecution requested. But I don't know if Ohio even has a similar statute like CA. However the DA's office, post review, could send you a notice to appear in a few weeks.

Interesting you bring up a kayak license issue as drunk boating is an angle I hadn't thought of but seems unlikely because in CA we would administer FSTs and handle it just like a DUI.

I'm interested what advice your attorney gives you as it will clearly be based on Ohio law. Pla update us.