Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dems oppose state voting laws

Default Re: Dems oppose state voting laws

An ID is required to drive, enroll in school, buy a beer, get into a bar, join the military.....ect. There is no reason for someone not to have an ID to vote. If BW, you think younger people or older people can't get an ID, I would say you're crazy. Get off your ass and get an ID if you want to vote. It ain't brain surgery. I am sick of people making excuses for laziness. Admit your lazy and don't vote if that's the issue. (the "you" I typed was not at anyone in paticular. Just a general "you")
    Last edited by quinn14; 07-10-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Get off your ass and get an ID if you want to vote. It ain't brain surgery. I am sick of people making excuses for laziness.
    Dude, you can't expect someone to be motivated to get off of the couch and register to vote! They need to make it easier for everyone, just have Obama and the fascist Republican register on Facebook and then people can just hit "Like" for the one they want to vote for. What the hell is the problem with that plan?

In all seriousness, do the Democrats need the slacker vote so much that they will make the case against ID cards?

An ID is required to drive, enroll in school, buy a beer, get into a bar, join the military.....ect.
    Driving, buying beer, entering a bar and joining the military are not rights guaranteed to citizens in the US. Id is not required to enroll in school I was enrolled in school for close to 13 years before I ever had a government ID.

According to an NPR report back in 2008 or so (I heard it on the radio and don't have a link) the cost of obtaining a government ID is oftentimes higher than poll taxes during Jim Crow (after adjusting for inflation).

I think the bottom line is that if you require ID you'll have less people incorrectly being allowed to vote as well as more people incorrectly being prevented from voting. If you're comfortable preventing some people who should be able to vote from doing so in order to keep some people who shouldn't be able to vote from doing so then you'd be infavor of this sort of thing, if not you'd be against it.

I also think it's interesting that both the left and the right are in favor of making people jump through additional hoops to exercise certain constitutionally protected rights and steadfastly against making people jump through hoops to exercise others.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Driving, buying beer, entering a bar and joining the military are not rights guaranteed to citizens in the US. Id is not required to enroll in school I was enrolled in school for close to 13 years before I ever had a government ID.

According to an NPR report back in 2008 or so (I heard it on the radio and don't have a link) the cost of obtaining a government ID is oftentimes higher than poll taxes during Jim Crow (after adjusting for inflation).

I think the bottom line is that if you require ID you'll have less people incorrectly being allowed to vote as well as more people incorrectly being prevented from voting. If you're comfortable preventing some people who should be able to vote from doing so in order to keep some people who shouldn't be able to vote from doing so then you'd be infavor of this sort of thing, if not you'd be against it.

I also think it's interesting that both the left and the right are in favor of making people jump through additional hoops to exercise certain constitutionally protected rights and steadfastly against making people jump through hoops to exercise others.
    What school did you go to that you didn't have to be identified as who you are? I had to provide a birth certificate and SS card for my kids to enroll in school. And the cost of an Ohio State ID is $12. I got one in Alaska for even less. They aren't expensive. You may be right that it prevents some people from voting, but who are these people? I can't even cash a check without an ID, how the heck do these people live without one? I worked the polls during the 2008 election and if you didn't have an ID you had to have a gas or phone bill in your name which was supposed to prove who you are. Of course you could always swipe a few of those out of someone's mail box and then commit voter fraud. I think that responsible people who want to vote will go ahead and get the ID. Sorry, but this is no different than other rule changes throughout America. People will adjust, they always do. And don't worry, ACORN will find other ways to commit fraud. (sorry, couldn't resist )

So you think that people should not have to prove who they say they are? I dont understand this line of thinking if that is the case.

It is not hard to obtain an ID and the cost is minimal. In CO it costs 10.50 to get a drivers license and it is free of you are over 60, it is the same for just a regular ID card. Not really a difficult process. Also I am sure that we could come up with some kind of process to aid those who are so helpless they cant get an ID.

Im comfortable saying that in order to place a vote we need to verify that you are who you say you are.

What school did you go to that you didn't have to be identified as who you are? I had to provide a birth certificate and SS card for my kids to enroll in school.
    I went to public school in MA, I didn't have a photo ID until I got my driver's license just before I turned 17, started going to school when I was 4 and never had a problem.

And the cost of an Ohio State ID is $12. I got one in Alaska for even less. They aren't expensive.
    How much does it cost to get duplicate copies of a birth certificat or SS card or whatever else you need to get that $12 ID?

You may be right that it prevents some people from voting, but who are these people?
    These people are American citizens who are guaranteed the right to vote by our constitution.

I worked the polls during the 2008 election and if you didn't have an ID you had to have a gas or phone bill in your name which was supposed to prove who you are. Of course you could always swipe a few of those out of someone's mail box and then commit voter fraud. I think that responsible people who want to vote will go ahead and get the ID.
    And the irresponsible people will go out and get a fake ID

Quinn and Ugly, would you two agree to the following statment:
    "In order to prevent people from illegally _________ing, the government should enact regulations which will increase the number of hoops citizens must jump through in order to exercise their right to ___________."?

I went to public school in MA, I didn't have a photo ID until I got my driver's license just before I turned 17, started going to school when I was 4 and never had a problem.
    When we enrolled our daughter in public school kindergarten we had to provide a vaccination record, proof of a physical, dental records, soc sec number, DOB, and proof of parent's residence in local area. We figured it was better for the school to do that then to admit kids who lived outside of our area.

How much does it cost to get duplicate copies of a birth certificat or SS card or whatever else you need to get that $12 ID?
    I don't know, but at least the person had to take a little effort to commit voter fraud.

These people are American citizens who are guaranteed the right to vote by our constitution.
    What people? How do you know they are American citizens?

And the irresponsible people will go out and get a fake ID
    They are also taking the risk of getting caught. I still think that's better than requiring no proof, with no consequences for committing fraud.

Timeout... To vote you have to register. Anything that requires a registration should require proof that the person can be identified when they come to claim their registration. Otherwise, what is the point of registration?
    I pictured you as that guy Gaylord in Showboat, passing up taxis to walk because he's broke and playing it off as if it's the doctor's advice. - Clmetal